About the Position: This position is located with the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Memphis District, Operations Division, Physical Support Branch, Navigation Section, Motor Vessel Dredge Hurley, Memphis, TN 38103. Duty location is wherever the Dredge Hurley is located. This is a permanent seasonal position. Seasonal signifies an annually, recurring period of employment of less than 2087 hours per year. During non-work periods you will be placed in a non-duty, non-pay status.Responsibilities
- Handle tow lines while moving barges and/or other floating plant along docks.
- Clean and care for tools and equipment used to include wrenches, hammers, slings, cables, and paint brushes.
- Observe targets set on the dredge and operate baffle to keep pipeline in line with targets.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.Supervisory status
- Job family (Series)
3501 Miscellaneous General Services and Support Work
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
Qualifications Who May Apply: US Citizens
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position is subject to a pre-employment drug test screening, and random testing thereafter.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination to ensure required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Pipelineman~ without more than normal supervision. 1) operate a pipeline baffle, 2) perform routine manual laboring duties, and 3) move pipeline to new discharge areas. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Dexterity and Safety
- Work Practices (includes keeping things neat, clean and in order)
Education Additional information
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work may require lifting over 50 pounds. Work may involve long periods of standing, lifting, climbing, and walking. May be required to wear respiratory protection.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Subject to weather conditions, danger of falling from pipeline, and danger of pipeline breaking. Uses hand tools such as axe and pick for removing drift from baffle.
How You Will Be Evaluated
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) CP 29- Installation Management position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM s Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- During the dredging season, typically May through November, all Hurley crew members, including this position, work a 15 days on/6 days off schedule, with the work period beginning and ending on Wednesdays. On the 15 work days, employees remain on the Dredge Hurley and are provided meals and lodging. This position works a 12 hour shift, and may rotate between day and night shifts. During the non-dredging season, the crew works day shift only, with the vessel based at Ensley Engineer Yard, Memphis, TN, on either a 5-day/8-hour or 4-day/10-hour schedule. During the dredging season, the Dredge Hurley will work in widespread locations in the Mississippi River, including up to 90 days in the vicinity of Baton Rouge, LA.
- Incumbent is required to sign a DA Form 5019-R, Condition of Employment for Certain Civilian Positions Identified as Critical Under the Drug Abuse Testing Program, or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your rsum and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your rsum and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating : Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Not RequiredDrug test required
YesPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External) .
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
2. Other supporting documents:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.