About Foundation Medicine:
Foundation Medicine began with an idea-to simplify the complex nature of cancer genomics, bringing cutting-edge science and technology to everyday cancer care. Our approach generates insights that help doctors match patients to more treatment options and helps accelerate the development of new therapies. Foundation Medicine is the culmination of talented people coming together to realize an important vision, and the work we do every day impacts real lives.
What Great Looks Like In This Role:
As Lead Data Platform Engineer you will lead architecture and design of our data platform that enables sophisticated analysis at scale for Foundation Medicine s clinical, biopharma and research partners. These include FoundationCORE, a repository of comprehensive genomic profiles and high resolution pathology images from ****93,****93+ patient tumor samples tested by Foundation Medicine, and our landmark clinicogenomic database developed in partnership with Flatiron Health, which contains nearly ****93,****93 genomic profiles paired with longitudinal clinical annotations (including treatments, response and survival).
This is a hands on role overseeing and working with a small team of highly skilled software engineers/technical architects. You will be responsible for the architecture of our data platforms including designing, building and maintaining cloud infrastructure and foundational data platform capabilities that will enable and accelerate the rest of our data engineering and product engineering teams. You will be a thought leader within a diverse team of scientists, physicians, engineers, product managers, and computational biologists. In partnership with our genomic scientists, product managers and commercial teams you will provide a architectural vision that allows our teams to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Design, build and maintain the FoundationCORE infrastructure and foundational platform capabilities to enable and accelerate teams working on associated data assets which deliver valuable molecular insights to Foundation Medicine, its partners and its clients.
- Manage and grow our data platform architectural practices and establish them as a model for agile, trusted delivery of data and insights.
- Manage a small team of high performing data platform engineers.
- Define an architecture for a platform that can ingest data from many sources into AWS, monitor data quality and upstream schema changes in real time, makes it easy to extend and to deploy new features, is automated and testable, and can support multiple modes for our clients to acquire and interact with our data products.
- Create standards, patterns, tools, and frameworks that ensure development teams can move quickly and independently while still adhering to our architectural approaches and principles.
- Collaborate across the organization to ensure alignment of architectural practices and strategies.
- Be a thoughtful, data-focused leader in the organization who is a consistent advocate for data literacy throughout Foundation Medicine.
- Design and build infrastructure and platform components that support complex data pipelines which ingest disparate data from multiple internal and external data sources.
- Design and build infrastructure and platform components that support a high quality, integrated clinical/genomic data asset that is accessible through multiple delivery channels (S3, APIs, research portals, etc.).
- Design and build infrastructure and platform components that support an elastic and resilient storage, compute and visualization platform for use by internal and external research and analysis users.
- Partner with engineering, design and research partners to create a data platform experience that delights our development teams.
- Define architectural strategies and components that support data modeling standards, data quality policies and enforcement, data security, as well as regulatory compliance.
- Design and build infrastructure and platform components that support services for data science and machine learning teams and computation workloads.
- Work across departments to understand new data platform patterns.
- Bachelor s degree in computer science or related engineering degree.
- 5+ years experience with data architecture, data infrastructure, or data platform engineering.
- 3+ years leading an engineering team.
- 3+ years experience working in AWS (e.g. S3, EC2, ECS, EMR, PostGRES, Athena, Kinesis, etc.).
- 3+ years working in infrastructure as a service.
- Deep understanding of internals, use cases and trade-offs of multiple relational, non-relational and distributed data technologies.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship now or in the future.
- Master s degree or above in computer science or engineering.
- Experience in genomics or other biomedical data.
- Expertise in agile software delivery.
- Experience in multiple programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, Go, R, Scala, etc).
- Expertise in highly automated continuous delivery environments.
- Expertise in building and maintaining highly sophisticated data pipelines at scale.
- Expertise in building and maintaining multidimensional data warehousing concepts and implementation.
- Experience with EMR/clinical data integration.
- Experience with image processing.
- Ability to troubleshoot technology, data and organizational problem areas and drive solutions across teams and departments.
- Ability to adapt to a fast changing environment.
Foundation Medicine is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, age, or national origin. Further, qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or protected veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also FMIs EEO Statement and EEO is the Law and Supplement. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form. (EOE/AAP Employer)
To all recruitment agencies: Foundation Medicine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Foundation Medicine employees or any other organization location. Foundation Medicine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back ShareApply Now