- Bachelor s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field
- 5+ years of Technical Product Management experience in a related industry
- 4+ years of consumer facing software product management experience
- Expertise in extracting, manipulating, and understanding data to do draw conclusions and make right decisions
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and proven ability to influence others
Take the earth s most customer-centric company. Add to that hundreds of millions of shoppers spending tens of billions of dollars annually and an opportunity to work on multiple areas of the retail business. What do you get? Simply the best software development opening in Recommender Systems today: the Consumables team within Amazon s Personalization group is looking for candidates to join a high-impact fast-growing team that is supporting the demands of a changing business and customer base in the age of digital and mobile.
Recommender systems at other companies focus on only one vertical - just movies, just music or just people. At Amazon, we build recommender systems for all product categories - E-Books, Music, Movies, Games, Clothing and Accessories, Electronics, Consumables, Home and Garden and Sports (to name a few). The technical challenges are very different and the data is not static in time how do you spot the next color favorite for clothing ahead of everyone else? How should algorithms that suggest recommended products on Amazon s gateway page differ from those that target the search page, detail page, shopping cart page and the thank you page? How should we deal with free products? What about frequent buyer programs like Amazon Prime? How should we use Machine Learning to build optimal recommendation systems? How can we exploit the rich structure of Amazon s catalog to build semantic recommendations? How can we optimize our algorithms for tablets, mobile phones, TVs and desktops?
These are all problems we tackle every day. If you think you have answers to these questions and many others that aren t included here, then we want to talk to you. If you have deep experience in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Collaborative Filtering or Search, know how to deliver, are highly innovative and want to build systems that contribute immensely to the company s bottom line, then we want to talk to you.
The Product Manager in this role will have a focus on business objectives, execution of complex multi-team programs, roadmap management, alignment to the technical roadmap, UX design, and developing any necessary metrics & reporting. The successful candidate will also ensure the effective overall execution relating to all aspects of the software development life cycle, from defining the business strategy through deployment. The position requires working closely with engineering and science teams, product teams, and marketing teams across Amazon on product development, business requirements, and long term profit optimization.
A successful candidate will anticipate and make trade-offs, balance the business needs versus technical constraints, and encourage risk-taking behavior to maximize business benefit. This individual will understand service inter-dependencies, drive towards technical solutions for multi-tiered systems, mentor more junior product managers, and build effective teams. This person will also be responsible for broad communication to the team, partners and customers.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Working with cross functional teams within Amazon including software development, user experience design, applied scientists, technical program management, and product management to develop detailed and creative solutions to complex problems, while keeping a watchful eye on timelines and costs.
- Excellent customer experience intuition; demonstrated success in creating innovative and user-friendly websites and customer facing features.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; strong bias towards data-driven decision making.
- Implementation orientation; demonstrated ability to translate strategic differentiators into detailed product requirements.
- Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing architectural concepts, schedule trade-offs and new opportunities with technical team members.
- Communicating with senior leadership about product direction, launch strategy, key success metrics and new opportunities.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
- MBA strongly preferred
- Solid understanding of technical implementation of product ideas, and the ability to build relationships with Develop Managers, SDEs and Designers
- Sound business judgment as well as ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve, scope technical requirements and prioritize
- Track record for being detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.