JOB POSTING: Program Director
82nd Street Academics is looking for a Full-Time Program Director for our after school and Summer Program at our Main Campus in Jackson Heights, Queens (NY). The participants in the program are 120 students in K-8th grades. The goal of our program is to provide the academic and social support needed to help students develop the skills required to successfully complete their secondary and collegiate education. We achieve these goals by providing a holistic program that includes homework assistance, literacy activities, enrichment classes in the arts, and opportunities for physical exercise. The program director is responsible for supervising program implementation and coordinating the logistics of our partnership with the host school.
The hours of this position are 11am-7pm, Monday to Friday. There are weekly meetings and professional developments that occur outside of these hours.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership on a day to day basis for a staff team of 12 members. The Program Director is the on-site representative of 82nd Street Academics. Must be highly aware of how each classroom is running and make daily informal visits to observe each classroom. The Program Director must document and report on these informal observations on a frequent basis to their supervisor, and share any concerns. The Program Director reviews lesson plans weeks in advance of implementation ensuring that they are age appropriate and coincide with the goals of the program and our stakeholders.
- Ensure student safety and attendance to the program by creating incentives for positive program participation. Coordinate with host school.
- The Program Director is a role model for other staff members on the team, and must be outstanding in adherence to policies on attendance and punctuality, dress code, and setting a tone of respect in interactions with students, colleagues, parents, and staff members.
- The Program Director is responsible for communicating with parents when there is a concern that must be resolved. In these parent interactions, the Program Director must provide excellent customer service and a professional, caring demeanor.
- Monitor staff performance by conducting daily homework checks in various classrooms to ensure that homework completed at our program is done at a high level of quality. Ensure that administrative and record keeping responsibilities are carried out by staff.
- The Program Director is one of the program liaisons for the Department of Health. S/he must ensure that the program adheres to all DOH regulations at all times, and will meet with inspectors when random visits are made.
- The Program Director acts as a first responder in medical emergencies until staff with more advanced training arrives.
- Program Director is responsible for Hiring and Firing Part-Time Program Staff.
- Program Director is responsible for maintaining a Learning Environment for students, staff and families.
- Data analysis Program Director will be responsible for homework completion data, attendance data and other misc. data to perform action steps to analyze program data and relevance to program.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Education, Psychology or a related field (approaching completion of BA is also acceptable)
- At least two years experience working with the elementary age group in a professional setting; at least one year in a leadership role preferred
- Prior experience in supervision of an after school program is preferred
- Knowledge of best practices in working with children in an extracurricular setting
- Strong communication abilities in one-on-one meetings, in group settings, and in written communications
- Takes personal accountability for the program outcomes, and takes initiative to implement positive change in the face of challenges
- Mandarin desired, 2nd language required
The successful candidate will also demonstrate how this position fits into their 5 year career plan. We hope to grow this program to 150 students in the days ahead with State funding. There are many opportunities for ongoing advancement in our school.
Interested and qualified candidates should respond to this posting with their cover letter and resume by email only. Any attachments should be in PDF or MSWord formatting. Please include the title of this position in the subject line of your email.
Values & Mission Statement:
Potential candidates will be actively working to live out the values and Mission Statement of School
Our 4 values for 82nd Street Academics are:
- Protect the Journey to College
Mission Statement: To complement public education so that students in New York City, regardless of home language have access to quality, public, higher language.
For more information about our organization please visit our website at www.82ndst.com
- Bilingual skills in Mandarin are preferred.