Job #: req3689
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French, Spanish
Closing Date: 7/29/2019 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
About the World Bank Group:
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the worlds largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
Development data data and statistics that improve our knowledge of development. The mission of the DECDG is to put data to work for development. DECDG delivers development indicators, datasets, standards, and tools for data work; and it supports data governance, internal use and management of development data. DECDG prizes innovation and partnership: validating and incorporating new technologies, and serving as an interface to the statistical and development data communities. DECDG is organized into six units: Data Analytics and Tools (DECAT); Economic and Debt Statistics (DECES); International Comparison Program Global Office (DECIC); Indicators and Data Services (DECIS); and Data Production and Methods (DECPM).
DECDG is looking for a Program Manager with experience within the global data community, and leading advisory services to manage its Economic and Debt Statistics work program.
Under the guidance of the DECDG Director, the Program Manager will oversee the delivery of these functions:
- Lead the compilation of, and provision of quality control for, national accounts and other economic statistics for dissemination through the World Development Indicators and related open data products.
- Lead production of the annual Income Per Capita for Operational Purposes paper to the Board, as well as inputs for the Bank Directive on Financial Terms and Conditions of Bank Financing.
- Update the Analytical Classifications of countries according to GNI per capita on an annual basis.
- Lead the continuing improvement of the quality, timeliness and user experience of economic statistics, including by developing products such as an online macroeconomic statistics portal/dashboard.
- Contribute to the further development of the System of National Accounts and other economic statistics standards, as well as the compilation methods, in collaboration with partners.
- Lead contributions to the improvement of client countries capacity to produce high-quality and timely national accounts and economic statistics by conducting country assessments and providing advisory services and technical assistance, including on improvements in source data (e.g. data from firm-level economic surveys and business registers), in close collaboration with WBG operational units.
- Provide training and technical advice to WBG teams on national accounts and other economic statistics.
- As mandated by WB Operational Policy 14.10, manage the Debtor Reporting System (DRS) and related WB External Debt system (WBXD) by collecting, validating and compiling external debt statistics for 123 DRS member countries.
- Prepare and publish annual International Debt Statistics, Quarterly Bulletins and other reports as necessary, providing timely analysis on external debt developments in low and middle-income countries, including trends, exposure, and debt sustainability.
- Lead the quarterly external debt statistics database and the collection, validation and update of the database, in partnership with the IMF and in accordance with prescribed international standards.
- Lead the quarterly public-sector debt (domestic and external debt) statistics database and lead the collection, validation and update of the database, in partnership with the IMF and the OECD, and in accordance with prescribed international standards in the context of the G20 Data Gap Initiative recommendations.
- Manage work program contributions to timely debt analysis and the improvement and development of relevant methodologies and international standards, in collaboration with relevant DEC departments, WB operational units and external partners.
- Support national debt reporting agencies to improve coverage of sectors and debt instruments and further support country economists on debt sustainability and debt transparency analysis.
In addition, the Program Manager will
- Represent the WB in relevant global data initiatives and international fora;
- Serve on the DECDG Management Team, advising the DECDG Director on relevant technical and management issues, supporting resources and partnership management, and acting on behalf of the director as requested;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Masters degree in economics, statistics or other relevant fields required; Ph.D. desirable.
- More than 12 years of relevant experience in positions of increasing complexity and responsibility.
- Extensive experience with the global statistical and data community, with a clear understanding of regional and country statistical systems and their capacity development requirements.
- Recognized expertise in economic data, including national accounts, debt statistics, balance of payments or government finance statistics.
- Track record of technical leadership in methodological and standards development, and the provision of specialized technical advisory services.
- Effective coordination with partners in economic statistics-related initiatives, and strong program management skills. Excellent people skills and proven ability to work in a collaborative environment with team members and other colleagues across organizational boundaries.
- Strong commitment to promote innovation, knowledge sharing and staff development.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to write and speak persuasively and present ideas clearly and concisely, with exposure to the media, external constituencies and expert groups.
- Familiarity with WBG products and processes desirable.
WBG Core Competencies for all staff:
- Client orientation
- Drive for results
- Teamwork, collaboration and inclusion
- Knowledge, learning and communication
- Business judgment and analytical decision-making.
WBG Key Leadership Behaviors:
- Make timely, fact-based decisions
- Put client value at the center: shift focus from checkers to doers
- Conduct regular, short, and effective meetings with staff
- Build capacity of staff to give and receive feedback
- Engage early and often with teams; provide actionable feedback
- Encourage collaboration
- Push accountability as far down as possible
- Proactively manage risk
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.