PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION Utilizing industry best practices, prepare bottoms up cost estimates for Substation, Transmission, Distribution and Gas projects. Perform field walk downs with Sr. Project Controls Estimators and Project Team to identify potential cost bearing issues at the project site which will impact the detailed estimate. Utilize most detailed documentation available per each phase of the project estimate (phase 1, 2 and 3) for continuous refinement of expected project costs. Develop and organize estimates and analysis for both internal and external use. Perform analysis of project actuals against latest estimates and incorporate results into estimating methodology to ensure continuous improvement of estimate accuracy. Contribute to the development of short-term and long-range business planning. Provide detailed process and cash flow based on estimate assumptions to aid in the development of the project baseline. Provide analytical and operational support to the business unit. Research and provide statistical estimate and performance information. Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies. PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Support and contribute to the development of Phase 1, 2, and 3 project cost estimates in WBS format with all required assumptions that support development of current and LRP budgets. Prepare standard WBS estimates and assumptions with documentation of confidence factors ranging from study to construction phases of project.
- Conduct modeling, forecasting, trending, variance analysis, and other estimate-related financial and implementation analysis. Track, maintain, analyze and provide current estimating information on scorecard or key performance indicators (KPIs). Prepare, update and maintain standard material and labor unit costs to support estimate creation and database updates.
- Develop unit cost and parametric estimate range for standard scope of work. Continuously analyze and update parametric values reflecting current trends and costs.
Update estimates for each phase approval with current documentation and meeting information. Conduct estimate peer reviews prior to estimate issuance. Perform engineering drawing reviews, general analysis and prepare reports to support business operations.
- Work with Project Managers to ensure that estimates are properly understood, challenged and reviewed. Prepare for and participate in estimate challenge meetings with all stakeholders (Planning, Engineering, Project Manager, Construction Manager, etc.) to ensure that all stakeholders have had an opportunity to provide critical feedback.
- Prepare for and participate in contractor estimate (or bid) challenge meetings. Prepare side by side analysis of estimates upon request to provide lessons learned and to generate parametric values.
Minimum: Bachelors degree in Business or Technical Field. 2-5 years related experience, or in lieu of Bachelors degree, a minimum of 6-10 years relevant experience is required.
- Ability to build a high level or detailed estimate from a Project Diagram, detailed design, or verbal Scope of Work.
- Ability to effectively interface with all levels of management.
- Ability to facilitate project meetings with all stakeholders in office or field environment to develop a project estimate.
- Strong understanding of applicable standards, methods, processes and practices, business fundamentals, and performance metrics in the electric and gas, distribution, transmission, and substation areas.
- Strong understanding of design drawings and detailed engineering and construction prints. The ability to calculate job requirements from design documents, including quantities, resource hours, duration, limitations, etc.
General proficiency in standard software applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project), specialized business technologies and applications (e.g., workforce management, project management, Asset Suite 8, Brio, CIS, EPS, Business Objects, SAP planning, business modeling, forecasting, work management, outage management) to retrieve and analyze data in support of business needs. Expert understanding and ability in Excel, good understanding of WinEst and the estimating component of Asset Suite 8.
- Ability to provide detailed analysis and apply managerial accounting concepts, customer intelligence gathering,forecasting, staff planning, scheduling, analytical and statistical problem solving, financial, accounting, business and budget analysis.
- Advanced analytical skills for project evaluation including analysis of projects with economic, financial, risk and decision analysis. Ability to quickly estimate several scenarios to determine least cost technical solution.
- Customer driven with excellent oral and written communications skills and general analytical, problem solving and project management skills. Strong knowledge of the practices, procedures and principles of performance analysis (trending, root cause and gap analysis) benchmarking and audit compliance.
- Ability to analyze organizational data and problems, interpret and recommend alternative courses of action, and implement intervention strategies to attain performance targets.
Preferred Bachelors degree with some relevant post-undergraduate coursework. 2-5 years estimating experience in electric / gas transmission, distribution, and substation industry. Knowledge of or experience with estimating software.