Serves as a community liaison by building relationships with community and business groups within an assigned sector of the METRO service area and/or community at-large. Educates the public and raises awareness about METRO services, projects and programs. Plans and implements community outreach and engagement strategies. Participates in community activities that provide METRO an opportunity to grow ridership and raise awareness about the benefits of transit services. Performs public involvement and public information activities associated with METRO projects and services. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties:
- Performs administrative and field duties that support the planning, development, and facilitation of community engagement activities.
- Makes public presentations on METRO s projects and programs to community groups and stakeholders and develops and facilitates tutorials that teach customers how to use the service.
- Identifies potential community partners and builds lasting and reciprocal relationships that support METRO ridership growth initiatives.
- Develops mechanisms to assist the general public in understanding METRO s role in regional mobility planning and implementation.
- Develops and implements plans as designated by the Director to accomplish the division s goals and monitors the quality of METRO s standing with community organizations, businesses and individual stakeholders.Keeps Director informed of public responses and sensitive issues that may arise.
- Confers with Director to prioritize activities based on agency focus and ridership goals.
- Ensures that community engagement activities are designed to meet the needs of culturally and economically diverse communities.
- Coordinates and facilitates community meetings associated with service changes and project implementation.
- Coordinates and hosts VIP Tours.
- Maintains meeting database for Title VI reporting.
- Develops and maintains a system that will produce contacts with community organizations and individuals to promote METRO s services, programs, and facilities.Ensures that the database of stakeholders is current and has up-to-date information.
- Coordinates special events such as groundbreaking, ribbon cutting ceremonies and multi-cultural events.Plans and participates in ceremonies, parades, and other community events including capital project grand openings and agency milestone celebrations.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications/ Requirements: Bachelor s degree in Communications, Marketing, Business or related fields preferred.
Minimum five (5) years progressive experience in community engagement and outreach activities as well as public speaking.
Excellent communication skills (written/verbal). Excellent project management and organizational skills. Ability to lead, organize and communicate ideas and make effective public presentations. Personal computer skills with a proficiency in Microsoft office suite. Knowledge of METRO s region, its geographies and demographics is required. Must have familiarity with Houston region community organizations, neighborhood leadership and business environment. Knowledge of regional, local and political and corporate leadership necessary. Knowledge of social media and other basic public engagement platforms.
Additional Information: The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.