Role Summary & Requirements
Smyth Companies, in our Wilmington, MA location, is seeking a talented Manager to be a part of the leadership team to drive and guide the efforts of operational excellence and exceptional quality products for the facility. The Manager will leverage their knowledge and skills to drive processes to identify, define and implement tools and processes for improvements, which will deliver outstanding results for our customer.
This position will show leadership in areas of Continuous Improvement, Operational Excellence, Lean Manufacturing, KAIZEN, ISO quality systems, innovation and current systems technology. This position must also demonstrate the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with customers, sales, and internal teams.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate:
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to mentor, guide, motivate and train a diverse team of people to develop and elevate Quality, Continuous Improvement, Operational Excellence and Safety levels across the organization.
- Knowledge of Quality Standards, Continuous Improvement, GMPs, Lean Manufacturing, KAIZEN and the principles of Operational Excellence.
- Excellent relationship builder, demonstrating respect for all customers and employees. Models and leads with trust, builds credibility, actively listens and demonstrates humility.
- Has curiosity, creates a positive environment, delivers outstanding results, demonstrates accountability and communicates clearly.
- A strong, teachable, point of view on Enterprise CI and cultural improvement initiatives for employees at all levels within the organization.
- Understanding of the corrective action processes and an ability to utilize and manage the NCR system.
- Ability to effectively capture and communicate internal and external quality performance data.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Implement and maintain Company-wide quality programs and direct, oversee and evaluate Smyths conformance to applicable standards.
- Deploy Continuous improvement (CI) activities, aimed at improving value-added activities while reducing non-value-added activities, driving best in class practices, and improving culture; Lead continuous improvement teams focusing on workflow and Lean methodologies.
- Provide leadership and management in all OpEx areas including ISO and other corporate initiatives.
- Act as a resource locally as well as with OpEx global teams in problem solving, analysis of data, critical thinking, and ultimately supporting the Facilities or business team leaders in driving decision making for OpEx. Actively engages in the production and transactional processes with the goal of increasing Value-Added activities. Inserts themselves into problem areas, or as business needs arise, is an advocate of using Smyth OpEx tools to drive to a solution.
- Participates in and contributes to facility Gemba Walks while supporting QDIP RCCM processes for findings.
- Partners with the OpEx and Smyth Functional Owners on any resource or tool needs ensuring that there is global visibility.
- Identifies, facilitates and leads (when applicable) Kaizen events that support the Global strategy, evolving business needs and continuous improvement; developing and deploying action plans to engage other Leaders to do the same then follow-up as needed to ensure sustainment of actions coming from events.
- Schedules and leads PD meetings in support of facility leader and ensures a rolling 90 Day event plan for facility(s) is complete and PD sustainment is on target; assist facility leadership with tracking progress of PD programs.
- Is an advocate monitoring the organizations change-readiness and uses strong change management and communication methodology to manage level of change readiness.
- Drive sustainability through training, control documents, and audits.
- Prepare and maintain appropriate documentation for the Quality program, to include BRC and ISO standards.
- Be data driven and understand the use of quality statistical tools: IE Minitab, Excel, DPMO and Sigma levels.
Education, Experience and Credentials
- Bachelors Degree in Business, Engineering, Technology or related field or extensive experience in lieu of Formal education.
- 7+ years direct work experience in an OpEx management capacity, including all aspects of designing, implementing and maintaining OpEx programs in a Manufacturing industry required and Printing Industry highly preferred.