Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
You provide guidance to the release train. While the ART (Agile Release Train) and the teams that are part of the train are predominately self-managing and self-organizing, the Release Train Engineer (RTE) provides guidance to help teams adapt to the environment.
The RTE facilitates ART processes and execution. They escalate impediments, manage risk, help ensure value delivery, and help drive relentless improvement. Many also participate in the Lean-Agile transformation, coaching leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in the new processes and mindsets. They help configure SAFe to the organizations needs, standardizing and documenting practices.
Facilitates intergroup communication and dependency resolution. Much of the role of the RTE is facilitating communication between groups. In a perfect world all teams would have the proper understanding of what was going on in other teams that they could impact or could impact them, however many times the environment precludes that possibility. The RTE helps to keep information moving so that the teams can focus on delivery.
- Assists in tracking the ART In many organizations tracking and reporting fall on the shoulders of the RTE.
- Organizes, runs and facilitates the release planning meeting. The release planning meeting (BRP) is a two-day meeting that includes all of the people involved with the ART.
- Chairs the scrum of scrums (SoS). As a leader and the scrum master of scrum masters, the RTE is perfectly positioned to ensure that teams interact and share cross-team issues and risks by facilitating the SoS.
- Resolves and/or escalates impediments. Scrum masters facilitate the resolution of impediments within their span of influence. Once an impediment is outside of a scrum masters span of influence the RTE steps in to remove or escalate the impediment to someone that can remove the impediment.
- Facilitates process improvement at the ART level. While teams pursue improvements based on retrospectives, the RTE facilitates ensuring the overall processes are continually being refined. An example of one of process improvement events that the RTE leads is the retrospective that caps the release planning meeting.
- Monitor progress to plan and design a recovery strategy if project deviates from baseline plan;
- Craft and publish effective status reports able to serve a variety of audiences from project team member to Executive;
- Collaborate with peers, managers and team members across the organization to solve problems, develop plans and coordinate work;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively across written, verbal and presentation formats to audiences from engineer to Executive;
- Ability to develop a project schedule using work-breakdown techniques that lead to a defined critical path;
- Ability to design and document a project charter that includes scope, schedule, budget and risk management plan;
- Able to apply critical thinking techniques to analyze problems, develop solutions, build resource forecasts or handle risk;
- Ability to use either Waterfall or Agile methods to manage projects which may comprise both software and hardware;
- Ability to lead the gathering of product requirements and project scope across a multi-function team;
- Leads through influence to drive forward both the team and program;
- Ability to manage and facilitate team meetings and initiatives to effectively develop plans and achieve goals;
- Ability to demonstrate servant leadership
- Strong working knowledge of technology companies or domains and the interplay between Marketing, Product Development, Manufacturing, Customer Support, Sales and Professional Services;
- Expertise in the use of standard tools for project and portfolio management such as MS Project/MS Project Server;
- Desired experience with CA PPM
- Bachelors degree in engineering, computer science, technology project management or related field desired
- Minimum 8+ years experience (6+ years with Masters Degree) managing projects at technology-based companies or technical domains;
- Lead multiple (ART) Agile Release Trains
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), Leading or implementing SAFe or equivalent certification preferred
- Experience with a geo-dispersed project team;
- Experience working in a concurrent software development environment as part of a complex build and merge management process;
- Technology product development experience is helpful.
F5 Networks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and we embrace diversity
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.