We are seeking a motivated molecular biology research technician to join the laboratory of Dr. Ruslan Sadreyev at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. This technician will assist the principal investigator and his staff with the daily research studies to translate the knowledge gained from the computational analyses of large-scale data into understanding molecular mechanisms of cellular function and human disease. The primary responsibilities are to conduct, complete, and analyze experiments for research projects ongoing in the laboratory. The successful candidate will be able to perform molecular biology techniques, maintain relevant cell culture, conduct basic analysis and interpretation of experimental results, maintain and order supplies, keep accurate records, and organize material for presentation and publication purposes.
The successful applicant will have excellent communication skills, be highly organized and rigorous, and have experience in modern molecular biology techniques (PCR, restriction enzymes, ligations, cloning). A bachelors/masters degree in biology or a related field is preferred. This is a rare opportunity to work in dynamic interdisciplinary research environment in a top biomedical research institution.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Please note, the functions below are representative of major duties that are typically associated with these positions. Specific responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Similarly, not all duties that have been outlined will be assigned to each position.
- Prepares basic solutions and performs base-level procedures as assigned (i.e. pipetting, cell and tissue culture, etc.)
- Maintains laboratory notebook
- Understands and applies basic scientific techniques
- Conducts analysis of results and may begin interpretation of results
- Sets up and prepares routine experiments as directed
- Prepares lab reagents, chemicals, instruments and equipment
- May perform independent literature searches
- Assists with organizing materials for publication or presentation
- Maintains and orders supplies
A Research Technician II performs the duties of a Research Technician I (above) and may also:
- Execute protocols of non-routine experiments
- Assist the PI(s) with determining the most suitable methodology
- Perform basic design and modification of protocols
- Calculate, transcribe and analyze data
- Prepare and present reports
- Organize and summarize acquired data, using scientific and statistical techniques.
- Organize and/or draft material for the preparation of research papers, manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or presentation.
- Participate in the design of experiments or field work.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Working knowledge of clinical research protocols
- Ability to perform multiple tasks independently
The Research Technician II should also possess:
- Analytical skills and the ability to resolve technical problems
- Ability to interpret acceptability of data results
- Working knowledge of data management programs
- Demonstrated competence in research techniques and methodologies
- Bachelors degree required.
- New graduates with some lab experience (via course work, internships, etc.) or those without any prior research experience will be considered for the Research Technician I position outlined above.
- Those with a minimum of 1 year of directly related work experience will be considered for a Research Technician II position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (if applicable):
- A Research Technician II may serve as a team leader to lab assistants and Research Technician Is.
EEO Statement Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Primary Location: MA-Boston-185 Cambridge - MGH Work Locations: 185 Cambridge - MGH 185 Cambridge Street Boston 02144 Job: Technician/Technologist/Scientist Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH) Schedule: Full-time Standard Hours: 40 Shift: Day Job Employee Status: Regular Recruiting Department: MGH Molecular Biology Job Posting: Jun 17, 2019