Richland Library is seeking to hire a Safety Associate for our Edgewood location.
Located in Columbias Edgewood neighborhood, we provide customers with books and A/V materials, holds pickup, computer access, meeting rooms and space for community partners. We are set at Oak Street and Elmwood Avenue. Our renovated and reconfigured 7,000 square foot former retail space has been transformed into a vibrant library where the community can learn, create and share.
We are seeking someone who enjoys assisting others while ensuring the safety of all library customers. The ideal candidate for this position communicates well with a widely diverse community and wants to be part of an enthusiastic staff committed to quality customer experiences.
Our online application is not working properly with Internet Explorer. Please use another browser to submit your application such as Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Sample Duties:
- Patrols all interior and exterior grounds to protect premises, property, and equipment.
- Deals effectively and appropriately with disorderly customers whenever necessary, carefully observing all unusual activities and behavior on library property, and responding appropriately; using good judgment, and knowledge of policies and procedures.
- Interprets, communicates, and enforces library policies, procedures, and rules to customers, and other staff.
- Assists Manager and librarians with the overall management and leadership of the Library, including helping to keep the workflow properly moving and meeting customer experience expectations.
- Answers directional and informational questions about the Library, including its services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Assists customers with equipment, materials, procedures, and information.
- Acts to find and promote efficiencies, including working to help ensure correct location and condition of items and materials so that customers receive materials and services they desire.
- Contributes effectively to understanding and maintaining the system for organizing and moving materials through the system.
- Assists with adult and childrens programming.
- May lead, coach, train, and supervise part-time employees and volunteers, guiding priorities within activities and tasks.
- Oversees the library operations during absence of higher level staff.
- Actively supports the needs of the library, including completion of opening and closing procedures; maintaining supplies, statistics and cash reconciliations; cleaning, checking, and trouble-shooting equipment; shelving materials and sustaining the librarys collection.
- Performing other duties as required or assigned.
- At least two years of post high school education from an accredited college or university.
- At least one year clerical or other relevant work experience; equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. Preference may be given to relevant experience within a service industry.
- Preference may be given to candidates with previous experience in security and/or law enforcement.
- Excellent communication and technical skills, including a good understanding of technology.
Location, Salary & Hours:
Where: Richland Library Edgewood **2101 Oak Street, Columbia, SC 29204
Salary range: $975.00 - $1,004.00 biweekly, plus benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week: Monday Thursday 12:00 8:00 pm; alternate Friday/Saturday 9:00 am 6:00 pm.
Job Classification Level 104 (FLSA Status: Non-Exempt)
Deadline: Open Until filled. Applicants will be notified by email once the position is filled. No phone calls and/or in person inquiries regarding status of applications. Applicants selected for interview will be contacted by phone. All other applicants will be notified via email when position is filled.