RRC - Accountant VI (00005907) Organization: RAILROAD COMMISSION OF TEXAS Primary Location: Texas-Austin Work Locations: RRC Headquarters 1701 N Congress Avenue Austin 78701 Job: Business and Financial Operations Employee Status: Regular Schedule: Full-time Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00 Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time State Job Code: 1022 Salary Admin Plan: B Grade: 23 Salary (Pay Basis): 4,598.67 - 6,650.00 (Monthly) Number of Openings: 1 Overtime Status: Exempt Job Posting: Jun 19, 2019, 4:00:17 PM Closing Date: Ongoing Description General Description
The Railroad Commission of Texas is seeking an Accountant VI (team lead) to perform advanced (senior-level) accounting work in the Accounts Payable department. Work involves preparing, processing and/or overseeing all functions in the Accounts Payable department. Responsible for establishing, maintaining, and/or overseeing accounting systems, procedures, and controls. Plays a critical role in ensuring the accounts payable team meets performance goals by meeting deadlines and maintaining a high standard of accuracy. Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. The team lead is expected to contribute his or her knowledge, independent judgment, initiative, and expertise to build on the teams objective of continuous improvement.
Essential Job Duties
- Oversees and/or prepares, audits, tracks and posts various payment vouchers.
- Serves as the liaison for Financial Services division for Accounts Payable.
- Oversees and/or prepares and/or processes various journals and vouchers related to A/P.
- Reviews reimbursements and trains departmental employees on state of Texas travel policies and procedures.
- Reconciles accounts, bank statements, and credit card statements.
- Researches and reconciles entries between CAPPS and USAS.
- Reviews and makes corrections to CAPPS vouchers.
- Researches, analyzes and coordinates payment discrepancies.
- Tracks invoices to ensure payments are made timely.
- Prepares accounting entries and documents for transactions related to disbursements in all accounts as necessary.
- Assists agency staff and management as necessary to process transactions, answers questions and research problems.
- Recommends improvements, adaptations or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
- Completes detailed assignments in recording, classifying, examining and verifying financial records, documents or reports.
- Provides customer service as needed internally and externally.
- Actively participates in independent job-related research and demonstrate initiative when seeking solutions to issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job may require some travel.
State Classification #: 1022
State Classification Title: ACCOUNTANT VI
Salary Group: B23
Military Occupational Specialty Codes (MOS):
Army 36B; 36A; 36
Navy - LS; 310X; Logistics; Staff Corps
Coast Guard SK; FIN10; Administrative, Finance
Marine Corps 3451; 8844; 34
Air Force 6F0X1; 65FX, 6F, 65
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC AccountingAuditingandFinance.pdf
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- BA/BBA/BS from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business, or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years accounting experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience as a team lead or in a managerial role related to accounting.
- Total years of experience may run concurrently.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Work experience and education may substitute for each other on a year-for-year basis.
- Must be able to work Monday through Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- Experience with automated accounting systems and applications such as Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS), Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS), and Texas Identification Number System (TINS).
- Accounts Payable experience at a governmental entity.
- Knowledge of State of Texas accounting rules and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of theories, principles and practices of accounting.
- Knowledge of, or experience with, accounting software such as CAPPS, USAS.
- Knowledge and/or experience with Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of GAAP.
- Knowledge of state funding and coding.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, State of Texas payment processing.
- Skill in utilizing a PC, associated software, calculator, or ten key machine.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret and analyze complex financial documents and reports.
- Ability to work at high level in Excel with complex formulas and spreadsheets.
- Ability to work accurately with numerical details in a high volume setting.
- Ability to prepare a variety of financial statements, reports, and analyses.
- Ability to review work for accuracy.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, management, and external clients.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently in a dependable, organized and productive manner in order to arrange workload plan to meet schedules and deadlines.
Remarks: There is one available position. Official transcripts, DD214 or DD1300, copies of license/certifications, or other minimum requirement validations will be requested at the time of the job offer.
THE RAILROAD COMMISSION OF TEXAS ONLY ACCEPTS ONLINE APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSTING.
Due to the high volume of applications we do not accept telephone calls. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Notifications to applicants are sent electronically to the email address you provide.
The Railroad Commission of Texas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or in the provision of services. The Railroad Commission of Texas is a smoke-free workplace