JOB TITLE: Scheduler / Receptionist- DENTAL Union
DEPARTMENT: Clinical Site/Department Practice Manager
REPORTS TO: Holland Dental Practice Manager
FLSA (TBD by HR): Non-Exempt
Monday- Friday 8:30-5pm
JOB PURPOSE: To serve as the critical link between the patient and the care delivered by Jordan Health clinical and service staff as the first point of contact in person. Effectively register patients when presenting for an appointment including and not limited to insurance verification, demographic verification and updating required EHR fields. Effectively fulfill other related clerical functions within the department.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES (Essential functions):
Result #1: An environment which promotes an exceptional patient and team experience by:
- Exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy and tact in all patient/staff interactions
- Welcoming and greeting each patient and visitor in a manner that is compassionate and helpful
- Having a smile when speaking with patients and staff and always identifying oneself and using Jordan approved greeting/scripts
- Properly routing calls to the correct department, staff member or answer questions with a friendly and courteous tone, fostering a warm, caring and positive rapport with patients
Result #2: Patient flow to clinicians and team allows Jordan Health to serve optimal number of patients by:
- Effectively using technology and office resources
- Communicating compassionately and without judgement with patients whove no showed an appointment or who have arrived late for an appointment and help troubleshoot patient barriers and connect patients with the care team
- Problem solving self-pay patient scenarios by utilizing the financial counselors and other resources
- Staying up to date with changes that insurance payers demand as communicated by Billing and attesting to knowledge of changes per department procedure
- Communicating with clinical staff about patient flow and updating electronic health record (EHR) as necessary (ex. patients who may arrive late)
- Communicating with patients regarding operational/team delays when possible in a caring and non-critical manner (ex. wait times, etc.)
- Scheduling patients who walk in to schedule an appointment
Result #3: Revenue opportunities are captured and reimbursement risk is abated by:
- Entering accurate information into EHR based on most current Measures table (see attached); examples include insurance requirements and patient demographics
- Verifying patient insurance at the time of the visit using approved and available resources
- Collecting and processing all information needed for each payer to assure Jordan will receive payment
- Updating PCP (Primary Care Physician) and Primary Caregiver (PCG) fields in Electronic Health Record based on current protocol.
- Working with each patient to resolve all insurance demographic discrepancies
- Assign Correct Insurance Payer
- Correct setup of primary insurance
- Include CIN in additional tab
- Include full Medicaid wrap
- Assign correct insurance payer
- Add secondary insurance
- Complete correct setup of secondary insurance
- Complete and properly fax PCP change form
- Accurately set up MVA insurance
- Accurately complete AOB form
- Use MVA case as appropriate
- Check eligibility for services
- Correctly enter name
- Correctly enter address
- Correctly enter date of birth
- Add and remove a provider correctly
- Create a new patient/Guarantor/UDS
- Schedule an appointment/select visit type and complete check-in & check-out
- Complete patient HUB
- Identify account balance and collecting co-pays
- Understand billing alerts
- Check account balances
- Use correct Pt ID & Update PCP Change form
- Complete referral to FC if no active insurance on file
- Correctly enter Primary and Secondary Insurance
Results #4: Jordan Health is in full compliance with all requirements related to provision of care, including billing and reimbursements, by:
- Attending all staff/department meetings, team huddles and department/site meetings, and completing in-service and annual training per regulatory agency recommendations or requirements
- Adhering to all policies on safety and security; maintaining restricted areas safe by safeguarding keyless entry codes and computer system passwords in strict confidentiality
- Practicing confidentiality and privacy protocols in accordance with Jordan health policies and HIPAA requirements
- Participating in peer monitoring and peer review at quarterly intervals for purposes of evaluation and giving/receiving feedback
- Checking Jordan Health email at least daily
RESULT #5 The Receptionist is a strong Jordan team player by:
- Performing other related duties as assigned
- Receiving, sorting and distributing daily mail/deliveries
- Taking messages for clinicians and utilizing telephone encounters appropriately and correctly
- Cross-training in other receptionist roles for coverage as needed/assigned
- Contributing to team effort by accomplishing assigned tasks with accuracy, actively participating in group meetings and assisting others as necessary
- Assisting in training new Jordan Health members to effectively contribute to team success
- Maintaining a positive attitude with patients and co-workers to promote and effective team approach to patient care
- Collaborating with Care Support Specialists (CSS) as needed to improve team effectiveness
Results Based/SMART Goal Metric (Job measures):
As part of Jordan Healths commitment to outstanding patient care, work of Team-Based Schedulers will be regularly assessed by supervisors and peers. A list of performance metrics is available in Appendix A.
1. The job-holder is given:
Instructions Constantly Frequently Infrequently Seldom
a. Supervision x
b. Instructions x
c. discretionary authority x
d. Authority over others x
2. The working condition of the position is: (for example, outside, a typical office setting, etc).
A typical office setting.
3. Physical requirements:
Constantly Frequently Infrequently Seldom
Depth Perception x
Color Vision x
Repetitive Motion x
4. The mental demands for this position are: (such as, multi-tasking, ability to concentrate, balancing competing priorities, alertness, etc.) Will be required to relate to a variety of personalities and deal successfully with frequently stressful situations. Relate well with people and work in a team setting. Able to multitask during both busy and slow times, concentrate, balance competing priorities all while being alert to surroundings and have superior communication skills.
5. The machines or equipment the jobholder is responsible for operating are: (examples: phone, fax, copier, computer, etc.).
All normal office equipment for a healthcare setting.
The jobholders work is reviewed by: Practice Manager with dotted line accountability to Director of Reimbursement for issues regarding reimbursement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- One year of directly related experience in a health care setting (such as medical secretary, medical receptionist, etc.) is strongly preferred.
- Two years working in a position requiring customer interaction, demonstrating the ability to handle competing priorities
- Accurate keyboarding skills
- Ability to use an office phone with special features
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Computer or business school training is highly desirable.
- Bilingual preferred
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Ongoing participation in continuing education is required.
SPECIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:Must be able to demonstrate competency in:
- MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- eClinicalWorks or other electronic health record preferred
- Proven work experience as a Receptionist, Front Office Representative or similar role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with ECW or ability to quickly learn and use the system
- Hands-on experience with office equipment (e.g., fax machines and printers)
- Professional attitude and appearance
- High level of accuracy when completing patient intake activities
- Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
- Customer service attitude
- Tolerance for stressful situations .
To serve as the critical link between the patient and the care delivered by Jordan Health clinical and service staff as the first point of contact in person. Effectively register patients when presenting for an appointment including and not limited to insurance verification, demographic verification and updating required EHR fields. Effectively fulfill other related clerical functions within the department.