Are you ready to be professionally challenged? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic team of engaged and committed professionals? Then the Health and Specialty Care System (HSCS) may be just the place for you! The HSCS is comprised of nine psychiatric hospitals located throughout the state, and one youth residential psychiatric center in Waco. The HSCS is a hub of excellence for forensic mental health and complex psychiatric care, with all facilities accredited by The Joint Commission. The hospitals provide state-of-the-art treatment that is recovery-oriented and science-based. Whether in a direct-care or support role, your contribution will make a difference in the life of a Texan.
Security Officer I performs security enforcement work involving patrolling facility grounds, inspecting and safeguarding El Paso Psychiatric Center s buildings/property. Conducting environmental rounds, assisting on all emergency codes to include fire drills and re-setting the fire alarm panel. Intervening and assisting with visitors in a professional manner. Participating in searches and assisting with court procedures. Driving a State vehicle
Essential Job Functions:
Attends work on a regular basis and may be required to work a specific shift schedule or, at times, even a rotating schedule, extended shift and/or overtime in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Patrols hospital grounds, reports, responds to and investigates unusual incidents such as fires, thefts and vehicle accidents.
2. Provides security to facility by screening visitors, checking doors/locks/gates, operating and monitoring cameras, issuing and retrieving keys and badges, assisting with the conduct of searches.
3. Participates in environmental rounds, performs fire extinguisher inspections and conducts other safety activities.
4. Uses a computer to maintain data/files, prepares Safety/Security reports for the Director of Support Services.
5. Reports to areas when fire alarms sound, resets alarm and resets panel or assist with evacuations.
6. Uses TIPS or other approved techniques to assist staff in controlling disruptive or combative patients or visitors.
7. Drives a State vehicle to assist with transporting patients to and from court or other destinations.
8. Helps plan and conduct emergency drills.
9. Helps enforce El Paso Psychiatric Center policies.
10. Participates in committees, performance improvement teams or other work groups as assigned.
Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agencys obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of building and grounds, patrolling techniques
2. Knowledge of the use of alarm devices.
3. Skilled in the use of personal computer for data entry and word processing.
4. Skilled in the use of two way radios.
5. Ability to perform appropriate investigative procedures, obtain necessary facts and write detailed reports of incidents occurring on the grounds.
6. Ability to write clear, concise and accurate reports in English.
7. Ability to move up to 50 lbs. with or without the assistance of devices or support personnel.
8. Bi-lingual is preferred.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Must possess valid Texas drivers license or obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date. Applicants with an out-of-state drivers license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy.
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. HS Diploma or GED
2. Work experience in law enforcement,
military or security related field
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aid, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct, and HHS OIG list of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18-25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
The salary offered will follow HHS starting salary guidelines which are typically made at or near the posted minimum of the salary range.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, healthcare workers are considered to be at significant risk for acquiring or transmitting hepatitis B, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza. All of these diseases are vaccine-preventable. As a result, state hospital policy requires employees be vaccinated according to their level of contact with patients. In the event you choose to not be immunized for the influenza virus, you may be required to wear a mask and take other protective measures.
Job Requisition # 421361
Note: Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 11B/C, 18D, 19D/K, 31B/O, SB, SO, MA, 205, 741, OS, 0352, 5811, 8151, 8154, 8156, 3P0X1. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditors Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.