Whitehead Institute – Cambridge, MA
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIESThe Senior Accountant is a key member of the Institute s Finance team and will be responsible for supporting budgeting, financial planning, accounting and overall reporting and analysis activities for the Institute to assist senior management s decision-making.
- Execute the month end closing process in the Lawson General Ledger system, ensuring ledger balances, journal entries and adjustments are accurate and complete.
- Prepare annual budget calculations and periodic budgetary analyses by working closely with management and the Research Finance department, including the ongoing monitoring of costs and revenues of sponsored and institutional research support funds.
- Oversee and maintain the fixed asset system, including reconciliations, journal entries and physical inventory counts.
- Responsible for reconciling various balance sheet accounts as well as researching and resolving variances and preparing adjusting journal entries.
- Provide support for Institute s annual financial statement and Uniform Guidance audits, including gathering documentation, preparing schedules and responding to auditor requests.
- Assist in financial reporting and analysis projects for quarterly Board and Committee meetings and on an ad-hoc basis.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 5-7 years of related experience
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills suitable to effectively conduct complex and detailed analyses of various accounting issues
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to work independently on multiple ongoing projects at once
- Knowledge of GAAP and experience with external audits
- Advanced computer skills in financial applications and Excel, experience with Cognos and Lawson financial applications is a plus
- Knowledge of sponsored research reporting, accounting and policies