Established in 2007, The Edward P. Lawrence Center for Quality and Safety, MGH / MGPO drives the implementation of the Quality and Safety strategic plan. Broad responsibilities of the Center include management and oversight of Patient Safety, Quality Management, Patient Care Assessment, Quality Measurement and Analysis, Informatics, Reporting of Quality and Safety both to our internal and external constituents, Care Redesign, Q&S research and Clinical Compliance and Process Improvement activities. Employing an interdisciplinary team of clinicians, data analysts, researchers, project managers and informatics professionals, CQS serves as an institutional resource to further the MGHs and MGPOs goal of leading the nation in quality and safety by creating the highest quality, safest care environment for our staff and patients. MGH ranks among the very top of U.S. News & World Report list of America s Best Hospitals. Improving Quality and Safety at MGH remains one of the most important goals and institutional efforts are led by the Edward P. Lawrence Center for Quality and Safety.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES and REQUIRED SKILLS Under the general direction of the CQS Director (The Director), the Senior Analyst will provide strategic analytical support to key performance programs impacting the institution using data, statistical models and research to evaluate performance, detect trends, and predict future outcomes. The position requires robust analytical skills, strong project management and organizational skills, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
The Senior Analyst will hone subject-matter expertise in complex quality measurement methodologies and use thoughtful analytic techniques to evaluate and communicate performance. S/he must be able to work independently and collaboratively to manage analytic projects and document data requirements according to project specifications. A solid understanding of the content and methodology of healthcare quality measurement is a must (e.g. basics of risk adjustment, benchmarking, performance management).
S/he must also possess strong analytical and data visualization skills; technical skills in SQL is a must. The ideal candidate is also savvy in data science and has experience incorporating analytics into the creation of a comprehensive story about current performance and creates strategies and analytic tools (e.g., predictive modeling in R, Tableau dashboards, etc.) designed to deliver action-based insights to drive performance of targeted KPIs.
Responsibilities of the Senior Analyst may include, but are not limited to:
A. Analytics and data
- Develops and executes the analytic strategy for assigned projects, utilizing techniques such as statistical modeling and algorithms to evaluate performance, predict future outcomes, and provide insight to areas of potential improvement.
- Summarizes and tracks KPIs in key performance programs (such as U.S. News and World Report, CMS, Vizient, pay-for-performance programs, internal programs/measures, etc.
- Analyzes and critiques preview data, public data, payment reports, and rankings/ratings by external organizations and/or local media
- Participates in the production and the communication of executive-level briefings, summaries, and presentations.
- Creates intuitive and effective data visualizations of measure/program performance and results.
- Participates in the development, validation, implementation, and maintenance of SQL queries for the successful extraction of appropriate data.
B. Information Management
- Provides expertise in quality measures and measurement, including statistical expertise (logistic regression, factor analysis, k-means clustering, etc.) as well as specific knowledge of national and local programs and measures specific to major academic medical centers.
- Develops and maintains organized documentation on key information and related processes and dates. Provides clearly written documentation of measure specifications and/or executive summary reports where appropriate.
- Communicates complex analyses and statistical concepts to non-technical audiences; provides coaching and training on use and interpretation of data.
- Understands the variety of available QI/PI tools and when to use which tool or chart.
C. Project Management
- Provides project management for ongoing and new data analysis initiatives, coordinating logistics such as project timelines, agenda development, production and distribution of meeting minutes and documents, and project status reports and activities to various audiences.
- Maintains strong and productive relationships with key stakeholders and customers.
- Provides superior customer service always. Understands and manages customer expectations.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by the Director.
Responsibilities and job-related tasks may change over time to fit the changing environment.
- Bachelors Degree in statistics/biostatistics, data science, business, public health, health policy, or related field required. Masters Degree strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years of relevant analytic experience, preferred experience in healthcare quality management working in an analytic role.
- Highly motivated self-starter, driven for results, effective at prioritizing and managing multiple tasks concurrently.
- Strong computer literacy, including mastery of MS-Office suite (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Advanced MS-Excel and SQL is required.
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau is strongly preferred.
- Statistical programming experience is preferred (e.g., R, Python, SAS).
- Working experience with healthcare billing and diagnosis codes is strongly preferred (e.g., MS-DRG, APRDRG, ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, CPT, HCPCS).
- Experience working with large datasets using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms.
- Experience with Epic or other EHR data is preferred.
- Effective business acumen, interpersonal communication, presentation and writing skills.
- Ability to lead and work within a team as well as to work independently.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with a broad array of people from diverse backgrounds.
- High degree of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Excellent mentor and team leader.
EEO Statement Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Primary Location: MA-Boston-125 Nashua - MGH Work Locations: 125 Nashua - MGH 125 Nashua Street Boston 02114 Job: Business and Systems Analyst Organization: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH) Schedule: Full-time Standard Hours: 40 Shift: Day Job Employee Status: Regular Recruiting Department: MGH Quality and Safety Job Posting: Jul 11, 2019