Senior AWS DevOps Engineer
Job ID : 15062
Job Title : Senior AWS DevOps Engineer
Location : Dallas, TX
Company Name : Oliver James
Industry : Information Technology
Salary : $128,000 - $148,000 per year
Job Type : Fulltime
Posted on: 2020-08-05
Required Skills : AWS Core Services, Elastic Beanstalk, Kubernetes, API Gateway, Lambda
Benefits : No benefits are available
The ideal candidate must have strong understanding of the following technologies: AWS Core Services, Elastic Beanstalk, Kubernetes, API Gateway, Lambda, Docker, Linux, Windows, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Python, New Relic, GitHub, JIRA & Confluence
Primary Job Duties:
- Provide day-to-day operational support of our applications on AWS
- Work closely with development teams to integrate their projects into the production and test AWS environments and ensure their ongoing support
- Be a DevOps champion and work closely with other internal teams to build security, reliability, and scalability into the development lifecycle
- Provide input on design and AWS-related considerations/options
- Gain functional knowledge of the applications you support
- Dive deep into the product stack to troubleshoot as needed
- Bring engineering automation and productivity tools to streamline and scale applications in the production environment
- Troubleshoot and resolve application development, deployments and operations issues
- Architect and implement reliable infrastructure services on AWS, from the ground up, to deliver highly scalable services
- Serve in an on-call rotation as an escalation contact for critical production issues
- Improve CI/CD tooling
- Implement and improve monitoring and alerting
- Build and maintain highly available systems
- Implement and maintain monitoring stacks - Experience with New Relic is a plus.
- Lead and guide the team in identifying and implementing new technologies.
- Lead the migration to containerization and infrastructure as code
- Implement security best practices
- Know standard security practices and identify any potential infrastructure-specific vulnerabilities.
- Gain deep application-level knowledge of our systems and contribute to their overall design.
- Work with development teams to enhance, document, and establish processes and generally improve the operability and security of our systems.
- Improve automation of operational processes (provisioning, replication, deployments, continuous integration)
- Bring monitoring, alerting, and observability for production and nonproduction issues to the next level
- 5+ years of experience working with AWS core services (EC2, VPC, ELB, S3, CloudFormation, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, API Gateway, etc).
- Experience with designing, deploying, monitoring and managing systems on Kubernetes including EKS
- Very strong scripting and automation skills - you believe you can automate just about everything
- Hands-on experience with troubleshooting, securing, and improving manually configured AWS
- Experienced with Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and log aggregation at scale
- Familiar with the concepts of microservice architecture and how those concepts are implemented in
- AWS with services such as API Gateway
- Installing, configuring, and managing RDS's such as PostgreSQL and DynamoDB.
- Experience as a champion of Infrastructure as Code. Able to lead the transformation from manual "hands-on" in AWS to Infrastructure as Code
- Experience supporting application development teams who work in an iterative-based development environment using Agile/Scrum/Kanban
- Solid understanding of AWS billing and cost modeling
- Experience with build & release automation tools and methodologies.
- Experience with Jenkins is a plus
- An appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in systems architecture
- Intellectually curious - prepared to challenge and be challenged
- Continuously strive to learn new technologies and look for ways to stay up to date in this rapidly changing industry.
- Configuration Management experience such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or similar.
- Strong Linux system administration background.
- Ability to present and communicate the architecture in a visual form.
- Knowledge of web design architecture and scalability
- Problem-solving versatility and resourcefulness.
- Experience with container systems (Docker)
- Hands-on experience of working with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, etc.
- Experience automating AWS configuration, build and deployments using Ansible, Cloud Formation, Terraform.
- Experience designing and maintaining reliable, high-availability production systems and services
- Willingness to learn new languages, methods, and technologies
- AWS Certification
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent, or a Bachelor's in an unrelated field with at least 5 years of professional experience. A relevant Master's degree is a plus.