The Senior Construction Project Manager performs difficult professional and administrative work involved in new and rehabilitative construction projects. Under the general managerial direction of the Deputy Director of Recreation and Parks, the incumbent has responsibility for leading capital improvement project teams in meeting engineering design and construction goals for City projects of diverse size and scope. The incumbent will be responsible for developing project budgets, financial management, coordinating project scheduling, payments, design, bidding, specification writing, field inspections, job quality control and the total contract administration for Recreation and Parks construction projects. The incumbent works with others in program development and service delivery, and performs various assignments in design, plan review, project management, engineering administration and other functions, characterized by significant technical complexity, high cost, and long duration. The work is multidisciplinary, and often requires the employee to be familiar with a variety of engineering, design and construction disciplines and understand how each supports the overall project.
The Senior Construction Project Manager supervises construction projects from beginning to end, ensuring that projects are completed within time and budgetary constraints. The employee follows standard and generally-accepted management principles, engineering standards, building, fire and life safety codes, accessibility rules and other federal, Maryland and local regulations to ensure that designs, building plans, specifications, and as-built features comply with regulatory requirements. Assignments are technically complex and involve the coordination of multi-disciplinary activities related, but not limited to, architectural, civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, and environmental engineering. Overall project management includes responsibilities for contract administration/control, and quality assurance/quality control of projects, and requires a professional construction engineering design background. The scope of the work typically involves very complex activities associated with engineering design, capital project management and building construction. The employee is responsible for projects from conception through acceptance of designs, or from construction through final acceptance of completed work. An understanding of the construction business and the ability to work under deadlines in a fast-paced environment are important. The incumbent supervises the Parks and Facilities Development Coordinator position.
Essential Job Functions
- Works with architecture and engineering firms to develop and finalize designs; ensures coordination with other City departments that may have some stakeholder relationship to the project; directs, coordinates and monitors all phases of construction management activities; monitors work of contractors and City staff engaged in constructing both small and large scale capital projects; visits sites to observe work and to inspect materials and processes used in construction, or assigns staff to inspect materials and project activities; confers with contractors regarding schedules, safety measures, site problems and delays; reviews and recommends the approval of projects change requests and payments; prepares project reports and maintains project records and files.
- Coordinates the preparation of the Recreation and Parks Department s capital and operating construction project budget.
- Coordinates park development and program activities with department managers, other City departments, agencies, committees, stakeholders, and elected officials, and attends meetings when necessary.
- Corresponds with developers, designers, contractors, stakeholders, the public, and design team members, and advises about schedules, technical provisions, City standards, etc.
- Prepares reports on procedures, policies, and other documents which relate to recreation and parks projects.
- Evaluates with other managers the parks and facilities needs to meet program goals.
- Assists in the planning, research, design, and grant funding for the development of recreation and park programs and facilities.
- Writes contract specifications and inspects construction/rehabilitation progress to ensure compliance with plans, specifications, standards, City ordinances, and state and federal codes.
- Makes design changes in the field to deal with integrity of design, quality of construction, technical problems, and recommends substantial changes as necessary.
- Coordinates the work of design team, contractors, developers, other City departments, and other government agencies.
- Responds to requests for conceptual estimates before the design is complete and after the design drawings and outline of specs are completed, and makes a final quantity estimate to check probable construction costs against available budget.
- Identifies and/or investigates reports on poor performance by contractor and takes appropriate action.
- Uses computer applications for planning, design, analysis, scheduling, cost estimating, and communicating.
- Disseminates information on technical provisions of City standards for park and facilities construction projects.
- Ensures that accurate and timely as-built information and drawings are obtained for the City s permanent records.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in construction project management, construction or building science, civil engineering, engineering construction, construction safety, or related field, and five years successful experience in the administration of parks or facilities development, construction management, construction contract management, or related field. Must possess a driver s license valid in the State of Maryland.
- American Institute of Constructors - Certified Professional Constructor (CPC) certificationConstruction Management Association of America - Certified Construction Manager
- (CCM) Certified Associate in Project Management or PMP
- Fluent in Spanish
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of construction and inspection methods, techniques and materials.
- Knowledge of construction standards, principles and practices of engineering, land surveying, specifications, project management, and applicable local, state and federal regulations and codes
- Ability to build solid relationships with team members, vendors, contractors, and internal and external stakeholders/customers
- Knowledge of goals, objectives, principles, practices, and philosophies of a municipal recreation and park operation.
- Knowledge of office administration and accounting procedures for keeping accurate records of contract scheduling, quantities, payments, and correspondence.
- Evaluate progress and prepare detailed reports
- Ability to deal in a firm, fair, and tactful manner with architects, engineers, developers, contractors, and the general public occasionally under contentious circumstances.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, surveys, material identifications, specifications and details, and to quickly and accurately compare them with work in progress.
- Ensure adherence to all health and safety standards and report issues
- Obtain permits and licenses from appropriate authorities
- Collaborate with engineers, architects, stakeholders, etc. to determine the specifications of the project
- Accurate and precise attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to identify problems in project progress and take timely corrective measures.
- Ability to schedule and prioritize projects and ensure contractors and subcontractors work to meet the goals and objectives of the department.
- Goal-oriented and organized leadership
- Proficient with Microsoft Office; Microsoft Project and experience with Project Management and cost estimating software preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Calm and fair demeanor