Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
The Senior Engineer, Hardware Design is a member of the Network Delivery Systems (NDS) team, chartered to assess and ensure Sirius XM s SDARS signal quality and customer satisfaction. The Senior Engineer produces special-purpose and custom Hardware (HW) in support of Sirius XM s Drive Test programs, Repeater Infrastructure Subsystems and special projects. The Senior Engineer works with other engineers and management to capture and document new HW device requirements, designs/implements/tests near production-grade HW to meet those requirements, and documents those designs for future builds. The Senior Engineer s electronic design capabilities include wide-ranging analog and digital circuit design, schematic capture, PCB CAD, board assembly and testing. Mechanical skills encompass mechanical prototype design and build using the latest prototyping technologies, as well as more traditional machine shop methods. There is also the opportunity to provide expert hardware design support to other Sirius XM engineering teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support of the Network Delivery Systems specialized HW design and implementation needs.
- Working with Sirius XM and vendor engineers to understand and Document Requirements for new and custom electronic devices comprising combinations of Analog, RF, Digital Logic, Microprocessor/Controller and Interface Circuits.
- Schematic Design and Capture and PCB Layout for custom Analog and Digital electronics.
- Design and creation of CAD drawings for mechanical aspects of custom devices.
- Assembly, Debugging and Testing of small quantities of in-house Prototypes.
- Management and support of outside Contract Manufacturing Houses, as a part of larger quantity builds. This include creation and maintenance of Design Documentation.
- Creation of Prototype Software and Firmware Code as required to support the initial development, test and preparation of devices for hand-off to SW/FW developers.
- In-house Design and Assembly of prototype devices using Rapid Prototyping methods such as 3D Printing, and Machine Shop equipment.
- Bachelor s degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering or similar area (or equivalent experience).
- 5 years of relevant experience in telecommunications hardware design and testing.
Requirements and General Skills:
- Interpersonal skills and abilities to interact and work with staff at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to create, organize and manage detailed documentation.
- Self-motivation, initiative and creativity to independently recognize business needs and challenges, develop solutions and follow through with completed implementations.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have legal right to work in the U.S.
- Practical understanding of Radio Receiver or Radio Modem design.
- Analog Electronic Circuit Design and Optimization.
- Extensive Digital Circuit design experience, including Logic Circuits, Interfaces and Microprocessors, Displays.
- Extensive RF Circuit design experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of common Digital Communication Protocols, such as I2S, I2C, RS232 and USB
- Coding experience in common Computer Programming Languages (C, C++).
- Schematic Capture and Printed Circuit Board Layout (PCB CAD).
- Thorough working knowledge of laboratory RF Test Equipment, such as Spectrum, Signal, Network and Communications Analyzers, and Signal Generators.
- Thorough working knowledge of Analog and Digital Test Equipment, such as Oscilloscope, Logic Analyzer, others)
- Working knowledge of Linux, Mac OS, and Windows computer Operating Systems.
- Familiarity with MS-Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Considered a plus
- Experience with Microwave devices, including Amplifiers and Antennas
- Mechanical CAD and 3D Printing experience
- Ability to write Embedded Code
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.
The requirements and duties described above may be modified or waived by the Company in its sole discretion without notice.