The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enriches the environment and protects public health for all New Yorkers by providing 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water, managing wastewater and stormwater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP s water supply system is comprised of 19 reservoirs and 3 controlled lakes throughout the systems 2,000 square mile watershed that extends 125 miles north and west of the City.The Bureau of Engineering Design & Construction (BEDC) currently has $10B of active construction contracts and another $15B of planning and design contracts under the responsibility and management of the bureau. The projects that BEDC implement allow DEP as a whole to continue to operate and maintain an exemplary water supply system.
The Program Management Office (PMO) provides project management support functions including scheduling, project controls and cost estimating. The Bureau of Engineering Design & Construction seeks to hire a Senior Estimator for the Cost Estimating section within the PMO Division, located in Lefrak, Queens, New York. The Cost Estimating section within the PMO Division provides the following services to project managers:
- Provide a consultative role to projects by supplying templates, best practices and lessons learned from other projects.
- Review construction cost estimates prepared by Design Consultants and construction change order estimates.
- Prepare construction cost estimates for BEDC in-house design projects.
- Conduct construction bid analyses.
- Review and signs off on Detailed Estimate Breakdowns.
Under direction, with great latitude for exercise of independent judgment or action, performs highly difficult and technically complex work, as an engineering specialist responsible for estimating all divisions of industrial construction and ensuring budgeting is accurate and complete by:
- Reviewing cost estimates and budgets provided by consulting engineers for DEP planning, design and construction projects.
- Obtaining, calculating and compiling data from plan takeoffs and estimates.
- Preparing conceptual bids and full project estimates.
- Maintaining current database of parts and pricing for daily use and reference.
- Meets with project managers to review scope of work.
- Assists in the negotiation of change orders at various construction projects.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Eight years of full-time satisfactory experience in general construction estimating and a four- year high school diploma or its educational equivalent; or
2. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and a combination of the following sufficient to equal a total of eight years of experience, at least two years of which must be general construction estimating experience:
a) Full-time satisfactory experience in civil engineering, architecture or construction can be substituted for construction estimating experience on a year-for-year basis.
b) Education in civil engineering or architecture, leading to a Bachelor s degree in civil engineering or architecture, respectively, can be substituted for up to four years of required experience on the basis of 30 semester credits for one year of acceptable experience.
1. Practical knowledge of industrial construction methods and applications.
2. Good business acumen and professionalism with all personnel as well as the ability to meet quick deadlines and provide problem resolution to project issues.
3. Experience in construction project management and estimating. Candidate should have at least 5 years of experience in the construction field.
4. Strong computer skills. Timberline Estimating knowledge preferred.
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
6. Strong organization and time management with ability to prioritize daily tasks.
7. Five to ten years of experience as a construction estimator with electrical/mechanical experience.
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach and recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program and also meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice. Please indicate on your resume or cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program.
This position is also open to non 55-a Program candidates who meet the education and experience requirements as listed in the job posting notice.
We appreciate your interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
All appointments are subject to Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval.
To apply click Apply Now
New York City Residency is not required for this position