Under direct supervision, provides administrative and secretarial support related to coordinating patient care within the clinical practice
- Responsible for front-end revenue cycle processes, which may include but is not limited to, the check-in/check-out of patients and collection/reconciliation of time-of-service payments,as applicable. May also discuss patients responsibility for payments
- Verifies patient insurance eligibility and obtains necessary pre-authorization numbers, if required, prior to appointment date. Facilitates the communication and collection of any fees due from patient.
- Registers patients within the practice management system. Completes full registration for new patients and eligibility verification for all appointments/procedures. Resolves registration issues prior to patient appointment to ensure smooth check-in.
- Schedules, confirms, re-schedules and cancels appointments for both new and existing patients using the scheduling application.
- Educates patients about the patient portal and encourages patient participation.
- Distributes informational and specialty-specific educational brochures.
- Identifies areas of improvement for the front desk and office flow.
- Assists in the training of new staff members in the practices standard of operations policies regarding patient care and billing related activities.
- Monitors schedules for wait lists, re-schedules and cancellations. Recommends improvements to workflows to ensure maximum schedule utilization.
- Manages patient chart process to ensure that information is inputted and scanned properly.
- Posts payment information within the practice management system.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
- Answers phones, responds to inquiries and triages calls to appropriate personnel.
- Receives, sorts and distributes mail.
- May coordinate and schedule laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- May maintain physicians clinical calendars.
- May assist with scheduling of meetings and preparation of agendas.
- May phone in prescription requests to the pharmacy.
- May welcome patients as they arrive and performs check-in responsibilities: verifying, collecting and confirming insurance and demographic information.
- May arrive patients in the practice management system to notify clinical team when patients are checked in and ready to see the physician.
- May perform check-out responsibilities: collects patient co-pays, answers any questions and schedules follow-up care.
- May assist in maintaining waiting areas in a neat and tidy condition.
- Initiates and prepares written correspondence as needed and based on functional needs.
Approximately 2 years or more years of work experience in a healthcare setting, preferably with a strong customer service background
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Previous experience using computerized appointment scheduling systems (EPIC preferred) and/or electronic Medical Record (eMR) system (ideally EPIC-Care).
- Knowledge of CPT, ICD-9, and ICD-10 coding.
- Working knowledge of third party payor reimbursement - Medicare, Medicaid, Managed Care and commercial insurance.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Standard office work
Weill Cornell Medicine is a comprehensive academic medical center that s committed to excellence in patient care, scientific discovery, and the education of future physicians in New York City and around the world. Our doctors and scientists-faculty from Weill Cornell Medical College, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the Weill Cornell Physician Organization-are engaged in world-class clinical care and cutting-edge research that connect patients to the latest treatment innovations and prevention strategies. Located in the heart of the Upper East Side s scientific corridor, Weill Cornell Medicine s powerful network of collaborators extends to its parent university Cornell University; to Qatar, where an international campus offers a U.S. medical degree; and to programs in Tanzania, Haiti, Brazil, Austria and Turkey. Our medical practices serve communities throughout New York City, and our faculty provide comprehensive care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital, and NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens. At Weill Cornell Medicine, we work together to treat each individual, not just their conditions or illnesses, as we strive to deliver the finest possible care for our patients - the center of everything we do. Weill Cornell Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Weill Cornell Medicine provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.