Sr. Digital Program Manager
Caterpillar – Peoria, IL
This position provides overall portfolio management for large and complex Data & Analytics programs. The incumbent works with all levels of management, to communicate, drive and execute projects and continuous improvement of portfolio and program management practices and processes.
- Maintain key relationships with Directors, Division managers, Portfolio Management, and IT/Functional COE teams to deliver results in a professional manner
- Can articulate a credible picture of future direction and outcomes; can influence and motivate behavior away from status quo and inspires others to follow or lead as appropriate
- Enable, motivate, direct and continually develops a committed, motivated and high-performing team by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress, ensuring feedback and addressing performance problems and issues promptly
- Document the justification of proposed Data and Analytics projects in terms of their overall benefits, costs, strategic alignment and risk.
- Support the planning and implementation enhancement/change to a new application or infrastructure with minimal impact to the users
- Collect and prioritize user requests for functional enhancements and bug fixes, together with expectations management
- Track and report of program progress against a predefined work plan, ensuring program goals are met as defined by its business use cases.
- Identify and assess risks as input to developing and implementing mitigation approaches
- Plan, design, build, monitor and improve program management practices and processes.
- Provide support and guidance on program and project management processes, procedures, governance, tools and techniques to program project managers and their teams.
- Develop and track accurate spending forecasts and the rationale behind them.
- Monitor and manage vendor/partner relationships, performance and deliverables. Approve invoices, manage vendor expenses and distribute actual costs to business units.
- Capture and report actual spending on functions including hardware, software, personnel, and services.
- Understand and assess business imperatives and goals and articulate them as Data and Analytic needs.
- Maintain deep understanding of organization wide objectives, interactions, issues and risks
The primary customers are internal and this role supports an administrative group that includes two or more departments. Problems and issues the incumbent faces have a variety of interpretations and require careful evaluation and reference to a large number of options. The incumbent needs to review standard courses of action appropriate to the discipline and follow the best option. He/she may also need to develop new procedures (in keeping with current policies) to reach those results and consider new courses of action which complement existing policies and short-term goals. Sometimes, the nature of a complex or undefined problem should be identified before developing the best solution or application from numerous alternatives. The incumbent decides priorities and defines what should be done to achieve a broadly defined assignment.
Limited travel required (Less than 25% of working time).
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university OR 8 plus years of job related and significant program or software development experience
- 3 + years of program management experience managing large scale, cross-functional software development programs
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- 3+ years of experience practicing Agile/Scrum as a Scrum Master, Product Owner, Solution or Release Train Engineer
- Agile certification as a ScrumMaster, Product Owner, or Release Train Engineer
- Experience in software development, data management, data governance, and/or analytics (experience as a software engineer is highly desired for this position)
- Solid knowledge of Caterpillar data, policies, standards, procedures, and a broad understanding of Caterpillars organization
- Experience using Agile project management tools such as Azure DevOps/VSTS, JIRA, Rally
- Ability to inspect and adapt the way the team works to continuously improve
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong accountability, project planning/organization, and teamwork while being assertive in a respectful way
- Demonstrated ability to resolve team conflicts, remove roadblocks and communicate appropriately to ensure a teams success
- Degree in computer science, information systems, statistics, applied mathematics, or engineering
Caterpillar is not currently hiring individuals for this position who now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status; however, as a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.