The Sr. Network Engineer (Team Lead) will be responsible for providing high-quality, reliable, flexible, and appropriate infrastructure networking technology solutions and implementation support for Houston Community College. Under the direction of the Executive Director CSN, the Sr. Network Engineer (Team Lead) will work closely with other network team analysts and engineers to lead and support large scale infrastructure engineering projects, network and perimeter upgrades, traffic engineering, cloud computing/data center networking infrastructure, and issue escalation. Collaborate closely with Director of Network & Security Operations for the operational support and maintenance of HCCnet. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead the technical design, implementation, and engineering of highly appropriate, tightly integrated, consistently available, secure, flexible, and fault-tolerant network systems (including but not limited to Cisco routers, switches, load balancers, firewalls, wireless LAN controllers, and other core infrastructure systems);
- In conjunction with the Sr. Network Architect, develop engineering project scopes and technical implementation plans based upon designated network architecture plans and Cisco/vendor validated design guides;
- Provide engineering and implementation support for application networking and data center networking technology, including F5 BigIP load balancers & GTM/DNS, Cisco UCS fabric interconnects, Cisco ASA/FirePower firewalls, and data center switching & routing (Catalyst & Nexus);
- Provide engineering and implementation support for district wide campus routing and switching environment, including internal and external route engineering (BGP, EIGRP), WAN engineering/optimization, wireless infrastructure, perimeter firewalls/access control, network monitoring, and core/distribution/access layers;
- Serve as team lead and manager for Cyber Security & Networks Engineering team, including personnel performance activities and development (PEP);
- Assist Executive Director in the development of network infrastructure replacement plans and budgets;
- Assist with the development of network infrastructure (switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, wlcs) configuration and change management standards;
- Perform planning and procurement of new infrastructure systems, including systems capacity planning and forecasting for future institutional requirements;
- Design, implement, and test information technology security mechanisms and systems in the context of the networking infrastructure;
- Identifying, testing, development, and implementation of new district wide technologies to support the IT and HCC strategic plans;
- Preventing and coordinating responses to network related security incidents; monitoring the development of new standards with TCP/IP and other networking technologies with particular attention to the impact on the HCC networking environment;
- Acting as a consultant to other departments regarding network implementation and support (meetings, design assistance, support, working with F&E on projects); and
- Completing projects and tasks independently and with limited direct supervision..
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
EDUCATION Bachelors Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field required. Formal certification in Layer 3 networking technologies (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, etc.) is preferred.
Four (4) years directly related work experience, plus an industry recognized networking certification (CCNP, CCIE), may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
EXPERIENCE Five (5) years hands-on design, engineering, administration, and implementation of comprehensive Cisco-based network systems and architectures in a large enterprise or academic environment are required. Of the five (5) years required, at least two (2) years of experience with routing/switching protocols (EIGRP, BGP, STP, 802.11) and equipment (switches, routers, wlcs) plus two (2) years experience with stateful firewalls, load balancers, intrusion detection systems, and related security platforms.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong communications skills, including excellent spoken and written English are required;
- Must be able to explain difficult abstract concepts verbally, in writing (email, proposals, documentation), and though more formal presentations;
- Expert knowledge of unicast routing technologies (BGP, EIGRP), switching infrastructure, perimeter security appliances (firewalls, IPS/IDS, packetshapers), load balancers (L3-L7), and wireless infrastructure;
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Cisco IOS, IOS-XR, NX-OS, ASA-OS, FTD-OS, and related network hardware operating systems;
- Working knowledge and understanding of the technical and functional aspects of implementing and operating VoIP/Unified Communications systems is required;
- Able to work collaboratively, cooperatively, and closely with both technically adept and senior management is required;
- Able to perform duties and responsibilities even when under tremendous pressure is required;
- Demonstrated ability to work with clients and other staff on all levels - in small groups, one on one with supervisors, staff colleagues, representatives from external organizations, and vendors is required;
- Project management experience is preferred;
- Able to drive/walk to other HCC buildings/campuses as required;
- Able to lift and carry small equipment as required;
- Able to appropriately handle stressful situations, critical deadlines, and a customer base with both high service level expectations and technical sophistication;
- May be required to work nights and weekends during (un)planned outages and other special circumstances;
- Will be required to carry a cell phone with text messaging capabilities; and
- Will need to respond to incident escalation.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.
The OrganizationHouston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. Were proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees. The Team
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their home. When you join our talented team, youll play a special role. Well support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community. Location Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York Citys 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and dont forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nations top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houstons cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and youre ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away. Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veterans status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator