Senior Project Manager Job Detailed Description
Senior Project Manager
PURPOSE: The Senior Project Manager (SPjM) is responsible for planning, scheduling, and tracking of multiple projects. These projects may be related and part of a larger program of projects. This role will partner with technical product management, architecture, engineering, and the business to provide leadership in delivering innovative digital solutions to our customers. This position will not only focus on the planning, communication and coordination of the project but also beyond the end date to the transitional and operational elements. This role requires a strong user focus.
Chief promise keeper for projects keeping an end to end
perspective for the teams. Ultimately responsible for delivery of
projects by driving quarterly commitments to completion on time, on
budget, and on quality. Will management projects directly or
provide leadership to Project Coordinators/Managers assigned to
this project or related projects.
Champion agile methodologies throughout the development process
and adherence to the DPG SDLC - this will include leading at least
two scrum teams and/or scrum of scrums.
Ensures projects do not start without proper initiation according to
the DPG SDLC including roadmap prioritization, documented
charter, iteration 0 and dependency identification. Clearly
understand how projects fit into the programs and platform they are
a part of.
Own and manage communication plan across project. Track key
decisions in decision log to ensure visibility and traceability to key
decisions made. Proactively removes impediments to ensure
successful delivery of team commitments. Owns and drives issue
resolution and risk mitigation.
Responsible for coordinating the successful release of projects
including documented release plan, detailed deployment plans, and
production support plans.
OTHER REQUIRED ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Facilitator of efficient meetings and follow up
- Open style of communication to foster flow of ideas and build consensus across the project
- Cross-disciplinary understanding of product management, software development, and quality assurance
- Accurate reporting on project status and project updates using the DPG tools and processes. Understands tools needed for both project and program management and that data is properly and timely updated (e.g. decision log, issues log, risk log, JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor s degree in Business, Information Technology, Computer Science or related field preferred. Advanced degree is a plus.
- In depth knowledge of software development and adoption, ideally in Ed Tech
- Project Management experience required demonstrated by 5-7 years as Project Manager. Exposure to agile project management environment is required. Scrummaster experience is required.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is a plus
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification is a plus
- PMI Agile Certified Practioner (PMI-ACP) certification is a plus
- Self-motivated and well-organized; able to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, negotiation, conflict management, communications, organizational and critical thinking
- Experience in consulting working with business partners, external vendors utilizing both traditional and rapid/lightweight project
- management is desired
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Be able to work with cross-functional teams in an agile software development environment
- Be acutely aware of cross-project and cross-team interdependencies and communicate accordingly to expose potential risks and escalate issues across impacted projects and teams
- Be able to lead disbursed team members across offices/time-zones
- Be able to adapt to changes in business opportunities and business priorities
- Be able to manage discussions to set project expectations and project priorities
- Be able to own and drive issues and risks to resolution/mitigation
- Be able to proactively remove impediments to ensure successful delivery of team commitment
- Be able to mentor Project Coordinators/Managers