When youre part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, youll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and youll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
Purification R&D at Thermo Fisher Scientific is hiring a staff scientist to research and develop new purification products serving the biotech and biopharmaceutical industries. This exciting opportunity will allow an industry scientist experienced in downstream process development to join a dynamic and growing business pioneering novel purification tools and methods for emerging biologics.
The successful candidate will design and perform experiments to evaluate and guide development of new chromatography resins and other purification products. Experience or understanding in the area of analytical development is a plus. He or she must bring critical thinking, an open mind, and willingness to contribute positively to group dynamics and discussions. The ideal candidate will have experience bringing products to market and a history of inspiring colleagues and junior scientists.
What will you do?
- Work closely with product and program management, engineering, and other R&D scientists to achieve development objectives;
- Define and implement experimental studies to develop new resins and other products through iterative evaluation and refinement of design alternatives;
- Maintain detailed records of all work and report in a clear, timely and informative manner;
- Develop and perform assays to support own research and that of other group members and transfer to QC;
- Prepare written reports, give presentations and present posters at exhibitions and conferences;
- Participate openly in discussions of new products and purification methodologies;
- Mentor and support junior scientists in experimental design and methodology;
- Apply excellent communication skills to collaborate with customers and strategic partners for outsourced testing of products in development;
- Maintain laboratory equipment as an expert user and recommend upgrade or replacement when appropriate;
- Stay abreast of scientific literature, industry reports, and conferences to help identify unmet needs in relevant industries; and
- Work well independently and as part of a team.
How will you get here?
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in biochemistry or chemistry, engineering, or related discipline, plus 2-5 years of meaningful experience in purification and/or product development; or
- M.S. or equivalent in biochemistry or chemistry, engineering, or related discipline, plus 5-7 years of meaningful experience.
- Demonstrated and documented ability to perform all job requirements listed in this posting.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Subject matter expertise in biopharmaceutical downstream processing and process development;
- Understanding of biophysical principles involved in purification and analysis of biological macromolecules, viruses, and similar particles;
- Analytical skills to include use of statistics to design and interpret experiments and communicate results to colleagues and supervisors;
- Proven ability to independently design, plan and execute project tasks and scientific research;
- Hands-on experience with preparative chromatography and/or membrane separations;
- Familiarity with broad range of methods for macromolecular characterization such as HPLC, UV/VIS spectrophotometry, qPCR, ELISA, or related techniques;
- Excellent English technical writing skills for creation of documents required for articulation of ideas, proposing new projects, planning experiments in a group setting, and preparing SOPs;
- Ability to anticipate resource and time requirements with reasonable success; and
- Computer skills to include competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with willingness to improve as warranted by duties.
- Commitment to driving projects across finish with attention paid to schedule and budget;
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and organizational skills;
- Requirement to demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific 4I values Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular missionenabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.