Application Architect III
Job ID : 35301
Location : MADISON, Wisconsin
Company Name : JPS TECH SOLUTIONS
Job Type : Contract
Industry : Information Technology
Salary : $50 - $53 per hour
No. of Positions : 2-4
Required Skills : .NET,SQL.
Benefits : None of These
Job Description :
Role:Application Architect III
The Department of Natural Resources Executive Program of DNR IT \ Custom Applications Section is seeking applicants for an Application Architect III. This position will lead application architecture for DNR at the direction of the Custom Applications Section Supervisor. Over the past year, DNR has centralized DNR IT Services and Functions so there is a need to add structure and standards for custom applications across the agency and across technologies used.
- This position will be expected to collaborate with others to identify and set standards for custom application architecture, design and development in a Microsoft .Net environment with Oracle databases using Azure DevOps.
- This position will work collaboratively with other IT teams and must consider the holistic needs of the DNR when determining solutions and setting standards for custom application development including working closely with .Net, Infrastructure, Database Security, GIS, Web Development teams.
- This position will lead initiatives to research and evaluate architecture and new/upgraded technology for custom applications. This position also includes enhancing the use of Azure DevOps.
- This position will include some development and troubleshooting as needed.
- This project requires full-time (40 hrs/week) work for a candidate with expert level expertise in .Net Application Architecture and has past experience in a lead application architecture role for a large organization. Candidate must be reliable and responsive to projects and issues.
The most qualified candidate will have:
- Expert level experience in lead role for Application Architecture within a large, complex organization. Application Architect Lead across large programs, sections or teams. (9+ years)
- Expert level experience in analysis and design of Microsoft Platform using .Net and Oracle/ SQL Server databases to develop custom applications. (9+ years)
- Expert level experience working in Visual Studio as well as Azure DevOps in the Cloud including project structure, migrations, work items and source code and release management. (5 years)
- Lead technical projects for new application architecture or technology evaluations. (5 years)
- Experience leading initiatives and setting application architecture, design, and development standards to a large development team including processes, documentation, and technical direction. (9 years)
- Experience researching, testing, evaluating, and implementing solutions to meet business needs. (9 years)
- Ability to work independently utilizing critical thinking and discretionary decision-making skill sets.
- Experience applying Object Oriented Design.
- Experience applying Standard Security methods to custom applications. Use of Okta would be a plus.
- Experience creating and testing API’s and web services.
- Experience developing applications with Oracle/SQL Server backend databases including experience writing stored procedures and SQL. (9 years)
- Experience and knowledge of GIS technologies, specifically those from ESRI as DNR has a high GIS dependency where integrations may be necessary.
- Experience following coding standards and best practices.
- Experience with Mobile App development and support.
- Experience with testing strategies and tasks such as identifying test scenarios, test data setup, execution, and documenting test results, etc.
- Experience utilizing the Systems Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Experience resolving technical issues through debugging, research, and investigation.
- Experience following Iterative/Agile/Scrum Methodologies for completing projects from Initiation through Implementation and Maintenance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including describing technical items to non- technical staff.
- Collaborates with others and is a team player to ensure project success and DNR business needs are met.
Additional skillsets that will also be helpful in DNR:
- Experience leading large groups or teams.
- Experience with Visualization tools and practices
- Experience documenting processes and technical documentation.
- Experience working in Government.
DNR has a large number of .Net custom applications and very high usage of GIS applications interfacing with other state agencies, other states, partners and the federal government. This includes Web Applications, API’s, Mobile, Batch, GIS custom applications and reporting technologies:
The contractor will provide expert level experience in leading the architecture of the .Net Microsoft Platform and Azure DevOps for developers. The individual will be coordinating and collaborating with other IT Teams, Supervisors, and non-technical staff. Custom Applications Section Supervisor will meet regularly with the contractor to ensure objectives/deliverables/milestones are met.
Initiatives/tasks that the position would be involved in, but are not limited to:
- Gathering and understanding DNR business needs, current DNR custom applications, platforms and technology.
- Leading initiatives to research, test and evaluate architecture and new/upgraded technology, frameworks and tools for custom applications. Continue to upgrade and maintain systems and tools.
- This includes documentation, demos, communications and rollout of technologies along with keeping the Technical Referenced Model (TRM) updated. Identifying, managing and guiding technical enhancements for use of Azure DevOps in collaboration with division architects and technical services.
- This includes migrations, source code and release management for custom applications, developers and other IT needs.
- Guiding, mentoring developers on architecture/design solutions with holistic DNR view, setting direction, reviewing code, approving deployments, troubleshooting issues with developers and project teams.
- Leading efforts to identify and document custom application standards for architecture, design, development, testing, code management and deployments using holistic view of DNR needs.
- Standards for custom applications must be defined for best coding and database practices to ensure good performance, scalability, accessabilty, usabilty, efficiences and maintainabitiy while adhering to security requirements.
- Leading efforts for development of common code for custom applications including design, development, testing and implementation of these.
- Tasks for development (.Net/Oracle) and troubleshooting issues as needed. This would include gathering requirements, design, coding and testing. DNR is also looking at the use of centralized logging and use of Splunk so there may be project involvement around these as well.
- Coordinating, leading and contributing in application architecture team meetings to develop custom application standards and guidance. Collaborate with division application architects to gather input and identify impacts.
- Collaborating with other IT Sections (ie. GIS, Tech Services, Database Management, Web Services, Security, etc.) on IT projects, solutions and architecture including review and providing input on project charters.
- Researching opportunities to reduce technical debt.
- Develop strategy to work with others to identify similar business needs and synergies within systems to determine if agency-wide solutions can be recommended.
- Collaborating with others to provide expertise on setting direction of Mobile Development Framework and Support for a DNR Mobile App strategy.
- Collaborating with others regarding Visualizations Tools and process as needed.
- Assist with evaluation and implementation of 3rd Party tools and technical projects as needed for research, architecture, and testing to address any impacts to custom applications.
- Assisting with Testing Strategy for areas of responsibility.
- Assisting with Continuity of Operations for custom applications.
- Assisting with onboarding staff as needed.
- Prepare and provide technical documentation, such as, technology proposals, architecture diagrams, standard documentation, etc.
Additional specific project involvment include, but are not limited to:
- Strategy and roadmap for migrating to next .Net framework along with VS 2022 rollout.
- Collaborations on MyWisconsinID project to migrate custom applications from WAMS to OKTA for authentication including development of a developer toolbox.
- Collaborations to determine DNR Batch processing for the future.
- Collaborations regarding high availability and resiliency for custom applications and Oracle.
Application Architect Lead must also follow the standard development life cycle along with DNR standards and procedures for management and versioning of source code, file management and change management processes. The application architect lead must look out for security concerns or issues when determining solutions and follow security related protocols. Applications must be built and supported in compliance with Federal and State requirements.