What are the specifications for US visa photographs?
When making an application for a US visa, you will be required to submit at least one photograph to prove your identity. Your image will be stored electronically by US immigration authorities, along with your biometric information, and referred to each time you try to gain entry into the US.
Your photograph will have to meet a number of specific requirements. Failure to observe these rules will result in a delayed application. Given what is at stake – it really is worth checking to ensure you have got it right.
What is the size of the photo for a US visa?
Your US visa photo has to be 2 x 2 inches (51 mm x 51 mm) Note that this is different to the UK and European standard photo requirements.
US visa photo requirements checklist
- The photo is sized 51 x 51 mm.
- Your head is between 1 and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the image’s total height from the bottom of your chin to the top of the head.
- The photo was taken within the last six months.
- The photo is in full color.
- The background is plain white.
- There are no shadows in the photo.
- You are facing the camera straight-on, and not at an angle.
- Your facial expression is neutral.
- Your eyes are open.
- You are not wearing eyewear unless required for medical reasons. Glasses that are permitted for medical reasons must not have any glare or shadows.
- You are not wearing any electronic devices such as headphones. Hearing devices or similar required for medical reasons are allowed.
- You are wearing ‘everyday clothing’ and not, for example, a uniform.
- Your hairline is visible and your head is not covered unless it is a headdress for religious reasons. Headdresses must not cover the face.
Can you smile in US visa photo?
You will need to have a neutral expression on your face for your photo to comply with the US visa photo regulations.
Can I take my own picture?
US visa photo requirements are strict, so most applicants will use a professional set up for example within a store, to ensure they have a photo that complies and to avoid any issues with their photo.
However, if you have access to the equipment and conditions required to produce a photo that is compliant, you should be able to take your own picture. ‘Selfies’ however would not usually meet the requirements.
Be aware that printed photos must be of sufficiently high quality. The printed image must be high resolution, in-focus and printed on high-quality photographic paper.
Do I need a printed or digital photo?
This will depend on where you are filing your petition and the visa you are applying for. US immigrant visa applications, for example, require two printed photos on photo quality paper that comply with the standard US visa photo requirements.
It is best to check with the Embassy you are applying to as to the specific requirements on the format of photographs.
Do I upload a photo for form DS 160?
As well as the standard photo requirements, specific US visa classifications stipulate additional requirements. Nonimmigrant visa applications using form DS-160 will in most cases be required to submit a digital photo which must meet the digital photo requirements, in addition to the printed photo.
What are the US visa digital photo requirements?
- 1200×1200 pixels
- Full color
- JPEG format
- File size less or equal to 240 kilobytes
What if my appearance has changed since I took the photo?
Given the importance of the image in verifying your identity, and to avoid issues with immigration officials at the port of entry, it is crucial that your photo is an accurate image of how you look at the present time.
While your photo must have been taken within the six months prior to filing your application, if your appearance has changed significantly during this time, you will need to take and submit a new photo that reflects your current appearance.
Reasons for a sudden change of appearance could include:
- Transition to a different gender
- Extensive facial plastic surgery
- New or removed piercings or tattoos on your face
- Gained or lost a significant amount of weight
Reasons which would not necessitate a new photo include:
- Change of hair color
- Grown or removed facial hair
US visa photos for babies and toddlers
Taking a photograph that complies with the US visa photo requirements can be challenging! It is usually easier to go in-store and make use of a professional set-up to help you create a photo that complies.
If you are considering taking the photograph yourself, you could try laying the baby down on a white sheet as a background or placing the child in a car seat with a white sheet draped over the seat. Importantly, no one else can be visible in the image and the child’s eyes must both be open.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST UPDATES
Max Troy is the Career Counsellor as well as a passionate Author. Well, he has years of experience in the Career and Jobs industry. As a part of his career at OPTnation, he helped various OPT and CPT candidates to shape their Career. Through his knowledge and writing skill, he is contributing to the students to find the best Career advice and immigration topics. Do share the information if you like it.