The USA has undoubtedly been the best academic destination for international students around the globe. The number of international students in the academic year of 2015-2016, was recorded at 1 million. So, here’s an overview of some of the best college majors for future job market in the USA for scoring jobs:
- Engineering – Engineering has been one of the most popular majors for international students in the US. Majoring in engineering not only guarantees a wide variety of career options post-graduation but also offers change and evolution to the students. Engineers are also paid very well and they get the best starting salary across all the industry sectors. Engineering graduates are likely to earn salaries higher than those in sales, human resources, and even finance.
Even the entry-level engineering jobs in the field of electrical, mechanical, civil engineering, etc have lucrative salary packages. Entry level engineering workers are required in different fields such as water and construction management, infrastructure, testing the quality of the products, conducting surveys, supervising the construction of highways and buildings etc. and thus it creates a wide range of job opportunities for the engineering majors.
- Business Administration – It should come as a little surprise that Business Administration is still one of the best college majors to get a job for international students in the US. The Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) as well as Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) is considered as a requirement for a career in business in the USA in the field of management, analysis, finance, information technology, and human resources.
- Computer Science – The area of computer science has seen monumental growth in the last few years, the highest in any sector. Students who major in computer science work in the IT industry with high pay rates and ample of job opportunities both in America and worldwide. Students from India, Nepal, China, Iran & Turkey are more inclined towards this subject. Computer science graduates are among the highest paid majors, according to Money Magazine. There are numerous career options for Computer Science, for example:
- Software Developer
- Softwar e Development Manager
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator (DBA)
- Network Administrator, IT
- Web Developer
- Systems Developer
- Social Sciences – Social Sciences involve a wide array of different subjects such as Anthropology, Economics, Geography, Political Science and Sociology. From social workers to accountants and government officials; social science graduates are thriving across a diverse range of careers.
- Biological and Biomedical Science – Post completing their education, biomedical scientists can find jobs at scientific research and development agencies, colleges, drug design, pharmaceutical organizations, and medicine manufacturing companies, etc.
- Mathematics – There has been a healthy growth in international students studying Mathematics in the USA. Math Majors are likely to be experts in analyzing data and creating models to extract meaningful conclusions. That’s why you can get a wide variety of jobs with a Math degree in areas like insurance, banking, education, logistics, and more. From being Cryptographer, Actuary, Statistician to Inventory Control Specialist and Fraud Investigator. There’s a vast scope.
- Health Professionals – Medicine and Nursing have been popular for a long time for international students in the US because of the advanced facilities that are available there. From being an educator nurse, Intensive Care Nurse, Nurse Midwife, Occupational Health Nurse to Mental Health, Psychiatric and Addictions Nurse to Oncology (Cancer) Nurse, etc. Therefore, it is considered as one of the best college majors to get a job in the future.
- Visual and Applied Arts – include Music, Theater, Media, Architecture & Design, Art & Film. A fine arts degree will open for many unique career opportunities. Regardless of your interest in being an artist, musician, writer, there are dozens of job opportunities for each specialization.
- Liberal Art and Sciences – It may vary from college to college, but it usually covers Psychology, History, Philosophy, Languages, Literature, Art History and more. With this degree you can choose from a variety of disciplines, giving you a broad and useful education. Undoubtedly, this is the best college major to get a job. You can show interest in any of the subjects mentioned above for a specialization.
- Economics – International students looking for jobs in economics have a lot of options, both in government and non-government jobs, business and teaching, economist, financial analyst etc. International students majoring in economics can also opt for law school.
Best majors for the future job market:
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics recently released its biennial projections for job growth across hundreds of occupations between 2016 and 2026. Here’s an overview of the high paying jobs for the future job market –
- Registered Nurses
- General and Operational Managers
- Financial Managers
- Specialist Physicians and Surgeons
- Accountants and Auditors
- Postsecondary health specialties teachers
- Computer and information system managers
- Physical therapists
- Software system developers
- Computer system analysts