The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) understands that international students studying in the United States may face emergency situations while attending their SEVP-certified school. These emergencies can range from natural disasters to manmade events and can affect your safety and impact school operations.
It is important that F and M students maintain their non-immigrant student status, even during emergency events. This means F and M students should continue to take all the necessary actions to remain in status, to the extent possible under the circumstances, and communicate with their designated school official (DSO) about the emergency plans on their campus.
Items to Keep Safe
F and M students should keep the following items in a safe, secure place so that they are easily accessible in the event of an emergency:
- Passport and visa.
- Important student forms like the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status.”
- DSO emergency contact information.
- Contact information for SEVP.
- Social Security card and Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document,” if applicable.
- Financial records.
- Travel-related documents like boarding passes and plane tickets, if applicable.
Preparing for Emergencies
Campus disruptions can range from natural disasters to manmade events, pandemics or campus violence. The impact of these events can be far-reaching and highlight the need for all students to have an emergency plan in place.
We encourage F and M students to take the following actions to begin making their own emergency preparedness plan while they study in the United Sates:
- Be Prepared, Build a Kit.
- Visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website.
- Explore Ready.gov’s Campus Ready resources.
- Follow FEMA’s popular accounts on social media.
- Sign up for campus emergency alerts and local information so you can remain informed about what to do while situations unfold and stay updated on the operational status of your school.
Source: – https://bit.ly/1NB9n4Y
Disclaimer: – https://bit.ly/2S00nLJ
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST UPDATES
Max Troy is the Career Counsellor as well as a passionate Author. Well, he has years of experience in the Career and Jobs industry. As a part of his career at OPTnation, he helped various OPT and CPT candidates to shape their Career. Through his knowledge and writing skill, he is contributing to the students to find the best Career advice and immigration topics. Do share the information if you like it.