We spend most of our waking hours in the workplace. Sitting in a chair for hours in front of a computer screen can take a toll on your physical health, this coupled with endless deadlines, meetings and phone calls lead to stress which will impact your mental well-being.
Employees often don’t prioritize their health without realizing that staying healthy benefits you in several ways like increased productivity, fewer missed work days, less stress etc. So, if you’ve been wondering how to stay healthy at work, consider these following tips:
- Eat Sensibly – Most people complain that it is hard to eat healthy and sensibly while they are at work surrounded by all the responsibilities. This often leads to munching on junk food and sugary snacks with your co-workers, without realizing the impact it can make on your health. So instead of putting on pounds by eating whatever trash you can find, plan out your meals, especially your lunch. Include some lean protein, salad or fresh vegetables and fresh fruits so that you will feel energized throughout the day. Instead of binging on biscuits and chocolates, go for nuts, granola bars or healthy smoothies as your options for healthy snacks for work.
- Stay Hydrated – Staying hydrated is the key! Drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day as dehydration can lead to drowsiness and sluggishness. Fruits like oranges, grapefruit, grapes, watermelon, and apples are good sources of water, eating them will not only beat dehydration but also hunger pangs.
- Restrict your Caffeine intake – Many office goers find it absolutely impossible to get through the day without drinking coffee or caffeinated beverages. Have once cup of coffee every morning to avoid a caffeine crash later in the day.
- Maintain a Good Posture – Staring at your computer screen for hours means stretching your neck forward for a long time. It can put pressure on the spine. You can do certain desk exercises to avoid this.
- Give Yourself a Break – Give yourself a break after every 30-40 minutes. Revitalize yourself by going outside to get some fresh air. Walk around for few minutes. Stretching at your desk can also help getting rid of stress and is one of the best ways to stay healthy at desk jobs. You can also meditate for few minutes and it will calm your nerves down.
- Keep your Workstation Clean – Use sanitizing wipes to clean your desk. Your keyboard, mouse, PC monitors, telephones etc harbor a lot of germs that can make you sick. Use a good disinfectant to keep them clean. It’s important to clean your surroundings.
- Manage Stress Properly – While some office stress is normal, the excess of it can bring down your productivity. It can not only affect your physical and mental health but can also take a toll on your relationships and home life. You can manage your stress by talk to a close friend or a family member. Someone talking helps a great deal. Watching movies, working out, going to a spa, reading a good book, spending time with your loved ones also prove beneficial.
- Keep Distance from sick Employees – If your colleague is sick or show symptoms of communicable disease it’s advised to avoid close contact with them. Wash your hands if you’ve been around their desk.
- Blinking your Eyes – People who use computers end to blind 70% lesser than usual. This can make your eyes dry and twitchy. Blinking helps to keep your eyes hydrated and lubricated. Take frequent breaks from using computer and blink as often as you can.
- Find a Healthy buddy – Having a colleague or a friend at your workplace who will join you in keeping a healthy lifestyle can be a great motivational factor.
You can also check out:
Remember, health is wealth! It’s important to take care of yourself and not to rank your career ambition over your health as it can lead to some serious consequences. These health tips for employees are so useful only if you will follow it at your work.
How to overcome laziness at work?
“Idleness is the Dead Sea that swallows all Virtues.” We all enjoy being a little after hours of hard word, or on a cold day but if doing nothing occurs too often, it’s time to do something about it. Here are some tips on how to overcome laziness at work:
- Break down a task into several smaller tasks so that it won’t seem so difficult or intimidating.
- If your laziness stems from irregular sleeping patterns then you need to give yourself the rest and sleep that you need. Change your sleeping habits.
- We often hate our work but a cynical attitude about your job impacts your productivity. Write a list of benefits of your job and learn to appreciate them.
- If watching TV, browsing the web, spending too time on social media is making you lazy at work. Time to get rid of these distractions.
- If lack of motivation is causing you to become lazy at work strengthen your motivation through affirmations, visualization and thinking about the importance of performing your task or chore or achieving your goal.
- Create a time table. Write down the thing you need to do and focus on beating the deadlines.
- Surround yourself with people who love their work and are creative and motivated this will also inspire you as well to complete your tasks. Stay away from people who constantly whine and complains about their jobs. Don’t get involved into their negativity.
If you’ve been questioning yourself how to stay energized while working for long hours and how to overcome your laziness then we’re certain that these tips will help you a great deal. But the most important thing to remember is that nothing will change unless you want it to. Therefore it is important that you build the determination to change yourself for good, only then these tips will be able to help you.
Max Troy is the Career Counsellor as well as a passionate Author. Well, he has years of experience in the Career and Jobs industry. As a part of his career at OPTnation, he helped various OPT and CPT candidates to shape their Career. Through his knowledge and writing skill, he is contributing to the students to find the best Career advice and immigration topics. Do share the information if you like it.