Some of us find it extremely hard to stay motivated at work when there are a lot of things going around in our mind and basically in our life. Some days you feel it, and other days you can’t grab a measly corner of it no matter how hard you try. Also, because of excessive competition, it can be very testing to find positivity in work challenges. While we can’t always control what happens to us, it is definitely in our control as to how we respond to it. We need to find motivation within ourselves. We cannot always rely on external forces or events to motivate us. If you’re feeling in the pits at work, you need to pull yourself out of it and get motivated. Following are the ways with the help of which you can stay focused at work and find that inner inspiration when you’re feeling down and out each day.
How to stay motivated at work? Here are some tips:
- Change the way you think about work – Find the purpose behind what you’re doing. Instead of focusing on the “what” or “how”, pay attention to “why” – the purpose behind what you’re doing. It is important to remember that purpose inbuilt, not found! Working with a sense of purpose every day is an act of will that takes thoughtfulness and practice. No matter what job you have, you can find meaning in it. For most people, reporting to work and spending 8-9 hours at your job without coming up for much air can feel soul-sucking. Regardless of the size of your paycheck and your job title, you need to figure out “why you wake up in the morning and what you want to do for the world.” What kind of an impact you want to make and how you can put your talent and gifts to use.
- Start your day right – It is essential to set a regular, step-by-step morning routine. Wake up early, stretch a little bit or maybe full-blown workout, drink your coffee and have your breakfast, get dressed and set off to work. It is important how you begin your day because it sets the tone for the rest of the day. Make sure that you leave for office early if you know you’re going to face traffic instead of rushing and panicking to work, greet your employees with a friendly hello, clear your workstation and organize your day ahead while setting goals for yourself. A steady routine and time table will keep you motivated and focused.
- Set realistic goals – If you do not have goals, you won’t be able to achieve anything in life. The same applies to your professional life. If you don’t have any goals in your career life then how are you going to move forward? However, while setting these long-term or short-term goals bear in mind to be realistic about them or you’ll be disheartened if you don’t reach them. You can start by asking yourself why you want to achieve them. Then break down your goal or goals into steps in order to make a plan for achieving them. Decide if you are committed enough to follow through and if you’re ready to put in the necessary time and effort to achieve your goals, set a timeline to help you track your progress and stay accountable. And then dive into your work and do what it takes. Remember, workplace goals should be realistic, focus on making improvements, specific, measurable, and time specific in order to avoid stress and formulate a perfect work strategy. If you have a big project ahead of you, start by breaking down the tasks to help you finish that project. Achieving smaller goals will keep you motivated to finish the bigger goals.
- Build a relationship with your co-workers – It is very important to keep your work environment comfortable and stress-free in order to increase your productivity. Therefore, it is important to build relationships with your co-workers. It’s not required to know every detail of their personal lives, the names of their children, or even their favorite colors, but having a good back and forth with coworkers, bosses, and associates will make your workplace more inviting. Having a friendly team at work will also make you feel more comfortable while performing your work duties, which can help cut stress levels.
You can check out:
- How to Stay Healthy at Work – Employees Health Tips
- Latest Jobs Openings in the USA for your Location & Skills SEARCH JOBS
- Surround with positive people – Do not engage in any kind of negative conversations. Instead, choose to remain neutral or just don’t participate at all. Respect your colleagues and value their opinions. Also, take time to consider them. This will result in a productive and positive workplace.
Involving in positive discussions with the colleagues and people around will also help you learn how to stay positive and how to stay motivated in the work environment. Your positive attitude might help them change their attitude!
- Don’t beat yourself up for mistakes – Alexander Pope rightly said, “To err is human, to forgive divine.” Human beings are bound to make mistakes. But if you do not forgive yourself and move on from it you’ll never be able to move forward in your professional life. If you make a mistake, whether it’s a verbal slip up in a meeting or a typo in an email, you need to let it go. Learn from the mistakes you made and move on from it instead of beating yourself up. Use it to push yourself harder and to do better next time, so that people will forget your blunder and instead they will remember your success. Or else the excessive gloom and dispiritedness will bring stress in your life and you will end up losing your focus.
- Reward yourself for your accomplishments – Every time you finish a task successfully, give yourself a pat on the back. With each small step that you take into the direction of achieving your big goals, make sure you reward yourself. It could be something as small as your favorite candy or a bar of chocolate, a manicure or pedicure, treating yourself to dinner out or a new movie date, or, depending upon your finances, a spa day or a new computer bag. Bribing yourself can be a great thing when it comes to remaining motivated at work and gives you the ability to keep yourself going.
- Look for motivation everywhere – Find motivational sources to help you stay focused at work and also inspired. It can be anything, from finding a mentor or role models that are living the lifestyle you desire to create, watching YouTube videos of inspirational moments, watching an inspirational sports movie, reading stories of bravery and courageous people such as biographies of people you look up to, surrounding yourself with positive people, or reading positive affirmations. This will not only make you feel better, but you will also help you perform better. And you’ll influence the people around to help them stay motivated and focused.
There are many that you can adapt to stay motivated at work and stay focused and positive in your work environment. Slowly but surely, you will make a difference in your work scenario if you consider the above-mentioned ways to make a change and follow the path of positivity and strength.
Max Troy is the Career Counsellor as well as a passionate Author. Well, he has years of experience in the Career and Jobs industry. As a part of his career at OPTnation, he helped various OPT and CPT candidates to shape their Career. Through his knowledge and writing skill, he is contributing to the students to find the best Career advice and immigration topics. Do share the information if you like it.