President Donald Trump issued a proclamation Friday that restricts the entry of immigrants to those who are covered by health insurance or demonstrate that they have the resources to pay for foreseeable medical costs
- Effective Nov. 3, immigrant visa applicants must be covered by an approved health insurance policy within 30 days of entering the U.S. or possess the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs. A consular officer must be satisfied an applicant meets the requirement before issuing an immigrant visa. The State Department may establish procedures for adjudicating the new requirements.
- The requirement does not apply to individuals holding a valid immigrant visa issued before Nov. 3.
- The proclamation exempts certain immigrant visa applicants, including children of U.S. citizens; parents of U.S. citizens who can prove that their health will not impose a substantial burden on the U.S. healthcare system; those whose admission is in the national interest of the U.S.; and other categories listed in the proclamation.
- “Approved” health insurance plans are listed in the proclamation and may include an employer-sponsored policy, Medicare, an individual unsubsidized policy, a catastrophic plan, a family member’s plan, a short-term or visitor plan that covers the duration of the immigrant’s stay, and other plans deemed to provide adequate coverage by the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- The State Department must report to the president within 180 days and every year thereafter on the financial burden of immigrants on the healthcare system and additional restrictions that may be warranted.
Source: – https://bit.ly/2M0beDV
Disclaimer: – https://bit.ly/2S00nLJ
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST UPDATES
Max Troy is the Career Counsellor as well as a passionate Author. Well, he has years of experience in the Career and Jobs industry. As a part of his career at OPTnation, he helped various OPT and CPT candidates to shape their Career. Through his knowledge and writing skill, he is contributing to the students to find the best Career advice and immigration topics. Do share the information if you like it.